X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recover Grub dual Windows / Ubuntu

Hi

I have to install Kubuntu over a dual boot Windows / Kubuntu. Now, the system does not boot neither Windows or Kubuntu. I tried Boot Repair, and it gave me this URL:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/26242414/

Grub flag was in sda.

Please, any help?

Have you checked to make sure your bios boot order is pointing at the right hard drive first?

Comment

Yes, that was the problem. Thanks

Comment

Not that you have multiple GRUBs installed on various disks, probably due to repeated installs re-installs. I would be a good idea to isolate the grub that actually boots, and destroy the other grubs.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
          Not that you have multiple GRUBs installed on various disks, probably due to repeated installs re-installs. I would be a good idea to isolate the grub that actually boots, and destroy the other grubs.
          I respectfully disagree. IMO (and on my system) GRUB exists on all hard drives so if the boot sector of one becomes corrupted, I can boot to another to begin the repair process on the damaged grub install.

My suggestion would be to boot to your Linux install, and one-by-one install GRUB manually to each hard drive so that they are all bootable.

Please Read Me

Comment

I respectfully disagree. IMO (and on my system) GRUB exists on all hard drives ...
            I agree with this. In fact, depending on things, you can sometimes access and use other GRUB installations by chainloading, by configfile, by live rescue CD (and chrooting, for example), and so on. It can be useful; and it doesn't cost much in terms of effort and space.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I can boot in Windows and Linux now without problem, so, do you suggest I install GRUB in the other drives and make them all bootable?

Comment

Originally posted by slamelov View Post
                I can boot in Windows and Linux now without problem, so, do you suggest I install GRUB in the other drives and make them all bootable?
                Leave it as is. Be aware that you have multiple installs of grub, and keep track of which grub is actually booting. If you ever change drives, even a non system drive, you may have to reconfigure grub.

I won't get into the philosophical arguments about how many grubs is best. Just make sure understand what is actually booting what.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slamelov View Post
                  I would not mess with a working system. Having said that, making additional drives bootable would do nothing damaging to your current setup.

If you have a desire to expand your working knowledge of GRUB or boot loaders in general, I suggest doing some research and starting a new thread for discussion. In the event you had the desire to have more drives bootable like I do, then we would discuss the why's and how's on that thread. My personal opinion is I don't want to have to go though unnecessary gyrations - like finding a bootable thumb drive or booting into the GRUB interface - just to fix an otherwise easily handled issue, like a package upgrade that goes bad. I have 4 drives in my system right now, so why not have them all bootable, just in case?

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok, I understand. Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Working...
                    X