This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really miss NOW the old newspaper layout

I did not really appreciate it for it's usefulness years ago.

And that was because I tried it on a sit down computer.

But, for a standup situation, working from a distance, using an Airmouse (tm) on a large screen t.v. or on... a touch screen wide screen t.v. it would be just marvy.

How?

Dunno for you but..

For me, I have two lectures in A & P, a lecture in Biology, my 17th book in galley, beginning an 18th, a new product going to Amazon and several other unrelated activities and it is all just a jumble.

So, I have an activity page on the large screen t.v. for the "post it note" widgits for each of these ongoing things which require not so much a "timeline" but a place to put ideas that keep bubbling up.

Having the "newspaper" layout would NOW...on that "surface writ large" be of great benefit for keeping the many...many... notes lined up neatly,

But, Plasma has moved on rather like the very large elephant in the "Hindu" anecdote.

>sigh<

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Your widgets don't snap into alignment when you move them?

Comment

I was thinking along those lines. Isn’t there a Grid option in Desktop Settings?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I haven't found a grid option but there is a grid that the widgets snap to. Can do this by manually moving the widgets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	notes line up.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	643696

Can't group and move widgets at the same time (or do any multi select stuff) nor is there is an "align widgets" option like you can do with desktop icons. Although, with the latter, I don't know if that would make sense to do so with widgets as they will most likely be different sizes

Comment

Hi Bings and all.

That seems to be a mighty fine lookin' desktop but it looks kinda narrow... In fact, if it was three wide and you cropped the full desktop it would look summat like the old newsaper layout.

As to a "grid" I have searced mightily in both Zesty Zyborg and also the latest update of KDE Neon developer edition and have found naught.

In Zesty Zarathrustra as in others there is the desktop grid which pops desktops into a grid for temporary viewing in "desktop effects" but that is not of which I am typing.

But no, in neither Zesty Zorse is there a snap option for the notes, as in there is not some kind of "right click and drag" or "tap here to snap".

Now, that may be available in the latest release of Kubu but I don't know.

I actually just downloaded the old 4.0 Kubu and tried out the Newspaper layout and it works fine except that it is well... the best way to put is ...what were they thinking except that...

It was originally designed to go on tablet, I ASSUME in the portrait mode because it defaults to three columns and the columns go down...and down, and down and down... \

Which would be a very handy way of "sliding with a finger" through the notes, or whatever on a tablet in portrait mode.

But, here is a post about the whole thing about the templates from January 2017 that "there is some talk of it in KDE circles but..."...

So... I kind of "assumed" and one knows what that makes of one that it would have "as many columns and could be conveniently fit on... " a regular monitor.

And since it does not I assume...that is why I did not use it except for a short while back in dunno... 2014..maybe...

For a mouse operated system the whole setup is cumbersome.

However...again...RedHat Enterprise 7 supposedly has ALL of the templates available; including the newspaper layout.

So, in terms of how I actually INTERACT with the notes on a LARGE SCREEN television, the "newspaper layout" is a bust and the only two options would be:

a) for me to just stick with what I am doing now and drag them around as needed

or)

b) if a kind little elf named Bings can point me to where to enable a "desktop grid" on one of the activities or how to install such a template the old woodsmoke would be mighty grateful!

IT IS POSSIBLE...that this is why folks didn't think that the Newspaper Layout was much punk, precisely because it was almost always USED on the devices for which it was not intended, and that is the desktop with monitor.

AND also...it is POSSIBLE that other layouts such as "photos" and "music" etc also did not get much use for that reason...as can be seen from the discussion they were basically a modification of the folder widgets etc.

Also the whole present paradigm of desktop rendering is changing so reverting to a "newspaper layout" might be more hassle than it is worth considering the possible number of active users for it.

So again, if a "formal" "grid / snap" option for a desktop in an activity were offered at some time in the future and given some advertising it might be adopted ...or not...

So thanks for the kind replies all and hope that your new year is starting off well.

woodgratefulsmoke
          Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 14, 2018, 06:40 PM.
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

The snap/grid feature is there with no way to disable as far as I can see. You do have to arrange them manually. So maybe what you want is a button to arrange widgets in columns. Like you can do with icons?

Comment

hi Bings.

Please post EXPLICITELY...

a) your actual Operating System version etc.
              b) anything that you had to do to enable the snapping to grid or was it there automagically?

woodgratefulsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

a) Kubuntu 17.10
                b) It was there automatically. Here's a video of it in action https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pmwze0mej...idget.mp4?dl=0

Comment

Working...
                X