This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edimax AC1750 Wi-fi card

I've had to reconfigure my system, but I am unable to connect wirelessly. Running lsusb shows the Edimax card. When I go into Connection Editor, it sees my wireless networks, but the "Connect" button is greyed out. When I click on the network icon in the system tray, it shows my wired connection but no wireless possibilities. The Edimax card worked fine on the system before reconfiguration. Ideas on what I should try next? Are there outputs that I should copy and paste into this (really the next) message. Thanks much.

Please post the results of:
    Code:
    inxi -n
    into a code box in your post reply.

It might look something like this:
    Code:
    john@John-Desktop:~/Desktop$ inxi -n
    Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V driver: e1000e
              IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
              Card-2: Ralink RT3062 Wireless 802.11n 2T/2R driver: rt2800pci
              IF: wlp5s1 state: up mac: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    I hate to reply to my own reply, but just in case, you can also try this:
    Code:
    sudo service network-manager restart
    which might get network manager working again and pick up the driver for your card.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 30, 2017, 11:08 AM. Reason: You just needed to edit your post to add to it
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Edimax AC1750

Sorry for the delay; I never got an e-mail about there being a response. Here's the inxi print:

Code begins:

Network: Card: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V driver: e1000e
      IF: enp0s31f6 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 1c:1b:0d:6c:44:b6

Code ends.

After running "sudo service network-manager restart" the output of inxi is the same. lsusb does see the adapter:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 7392:a833 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd

Comment

what is the output of
        Code:
        rfkill list
        and when you click the network icon in the system tray is the wireless box at the top checked and the "air-plain mode" unchecked ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          what is the output of
          Code:
          rfkill list
          and when you click the network icon in the system tray is the wireless box at the top checked and the "air-plain mode" unchecked ?

VINNY
          Vinny,
          There is no output at all from rfkill list.

I just noticed something bizarre. I have two desktops, both running fully updated 16.04. On the machine that is working wirelessly, the network drop-down box has two check boxes, the first next to the regular network icon and the second adjacent to the airplane icon. On the machine with which I'm having trouble, the network drop-down box does not have either the check box for the network icon or the network icon itself. It has only the airplane check box and icon. I've tried rebooting, but it creates no change. Perhaps the difference is explained by the fact that although running lsusb shows the Edimax adapter, the adapter is not functional because Edimax no longer provides software to make it operational on any kernel after 4.4.

Comment

So for clarity (with my feeble mind) you are actually running two different physical machines, each of which use 16.04, and each of which has different kernels installed. is that correct?
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Hi, jglen,
              You got two out of three! Yes, there are two physical machines, and each of them uses 16.04. But they use the same kernel: 4.10.0.42-generic on both. (I suppose they are "different" kernels in the purely physical sense that one resides on a machine at work and the other at home, but I don't think that's what you had in mind.)

Comment

You’re going to have to use a wired connection and once running with a connection to the ‘Net, check for/install proprietary drivers for your wireless card.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  You’re going to have to use a wired connection and once running with a connection to the ‘Net, check for/install proprietary drivers for your wireless card.
                  And herein lies the basic problem. Although Edimax advertises, both on its web site and on the product box, that the product is Linux compatible, it is not. Edimax provides no drivers for any kernel version past 4.4. Edimax has referred me to a "fix" at https://edimax.freshdesk.com/support...gher-than-v4-4, but following the instructions there hangs on the fourth line of instruction 8, returning this error:
                  fatal: Not a valid object name
                  tar: This does not look like a tar archive
                  tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Comment

when you did the " mkdir /usr/src/${DRV_NAME}-${DRV_VERSION}" did it make a folder/directory named rtl8814AU-4.3.21 ?

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                      Hi, jglen,
                      You got two out of three! Yes, there are two physical machines, and each of them uses 16.04. But they use the same kernel: 4.10.0.42-generic on both. (I suppose they are "different" kernels in the purely physical sense that one resides on a machine at work and the other at home, but I don't think that's what you had in mind.)
                      Now I am confused. One of the machines IS running wirelessly and the other is NOT running wirelessly, yet both are running a 4.10 kernel. What is the driver on the machine where wireless does work (run inxi -n)? Are they both running the same Edimax AC1750 Wi-fi card?

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        when you did the " mkdir /usr/src/${DRV_NAME}-${DRV_VERSION}" did it make a folder/directory named rtl8814AU-4.3.21 ?

VINNY
                        In addition to what VINNY wrote, did you keep
                        git archive driver-${DRV_VERSION} | tar -x -C /usr/src/${DRV_NAME}-${DRV_VERSION}
                        all on one line?
                        Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 14, 2017, 01:50 PM.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Vinny,
                          It did, but the directory is empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                            Vinny,
                            It did, but the directory is empty.
                            it should be ,,,it was just making a directory to put things in ,,,,,,what about GG's question?
                            16GB RAM

Comment

In answer to GG's question, I don't recall, so I'll go back into the process, pick up with that step, and check back. Thanks, GG (and Vinny, because I don't want you to feel left out and am truly grateful for your time and help).

Comment

Working...
                              X