This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] First screen in Bionic Beaver

No one else other than Snowhog has posted in https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forumd...c-Beaver-(LTS), so I'm posting here.

The image I'm attaching is what I'm seeing after downloading the current iso for 18.04 and getting it going in VBox. As you can see, content on the right-hand side is chopped off. I've seen the same thing with 17.10. There's also a YouTube video showing the same thing approx 1min 28sec into the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udP7zlm0--M

That is confusing because the "install" option can't be taken to its conclusion: the "continue" button which is located near the right-hand bottom isn't available in subsequent steps.

However, for both 17.10 and 18.04, the "try" option gives a full screen and the install icon on the desktop works just fine and I get complete installation.
    Attached Files
    Kubuntu 20.04

How much video memory did you allocate to your VM?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I occasionally get that in Virtualbox, when for some reason or another it fails to resize the guest display to fit my maximised window, and it refuses to go beyond a minimal size. A Virtualbox quirk.

On a quick test, is fine today for me:

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        How much video memory did you allocate to your VM?
        3840 MB which is slightly less than half my system's RAM. I'm trying to set up Guest Additions. After that, I'll post the output of inxi -Fxz.
        Originally posted by acheron View Post
        I occasionally get that in Virtualbox, when for some reason or another it fails to resize the guest display to fit my maximised window, and it refuses to go beyond a minimal size. A Virtualbox quirk.

On a quick test, is fine today for me: ...
        Okay, thanks! It's not a big deal but it had me quite stuck the first time
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Code:
          chimak@ck-VirtualBox:~$ inxi -Fxzc0
          System:    Host: ck-VirtualBox Kernel: 4.13.0-16-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.2.0
                   Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.10.5 (Qt 5.9.1) Distro: Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (development branch)
          Machine:   Device: oracle System: innotek product: VirtualBox v: 1.2 serial: N/A
                   Mobo: Oracle model: VirtualBox v: 1.2 serial: N/A BIOS: innotek v: VirtualBox date: 12/01/2006
          Battery    BAT0: charge: 50.0 Wh 100.0% condition: 50.0/50.0 Wh (100%) model: innotek 1 status: Full
          CPU:       Single core Intel Core i3-6006U (-UP-) arch: Skylake rev.3 cache: 3072 KB
                   flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3) bmips: 3983 speed: 1991 MHz (max)
          Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter bus-ID: 00:02.0
                   Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.5 ) drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: modesetting
                   Resolution: 1360x688@59.97hz
                   OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 5.0, 256 bits) version: 3.3 Mesa 17.2.2 Direct Render: Yes
          Audio:     Card Intel 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: d100 d200 bus-ID: 00:05.0
                   Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-16-generic
          Network:   Card: Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                   driver: e1000 v: 7.3.21-k8-NAPI port: d010 bus-ID: 00:03.0
                   IF: enp0s3 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
          Drives:    HDD Total Size: 42.9GB (18.6% used)
                   ID-1: /dev/sda model: VBOX_HARDDISK size: 42.9GB
          Partition: ID-1: / size: 40G used: 7.5G (21%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
          RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
          Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
          Info:      Processes: 136 Uptime: 5 min [B]Memory: 544.3/3696.3MB[/B] Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.2.0
                   Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.40
          chimak@ck-VirtualBox:~$
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
            3840 MB which is slightly less than half my system's RAM. I'm trying to set up Guest Additions. After that, I'll post the output of inxi -Fxz.

Okay, thanks! It's not a big deal but it had me quite stuck the first time
            3840 is not your video memory. Video memory is usually 128 or 256.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
              3840 is not your video memory. Video memory is usually 128 or 256.
              Oops! I didn't read Snowhog's post correctly!

Video memory is just 16 MB out of 128 MB available.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I see this too. You can grab the window by the top menu bar and slide it to the left to expose the "Continue" button.

I find it interesting they've defaulted back to "Folder" for the desktop layout instead of "Desktop"

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X