This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ianp5a View Post

Regarding Spotify, I have requested that they change their Linux instructions. Which they did already. There is more to be done regarding Flatpak, deb and rpm though. We'll see how that goes.

Currently, it seems, the easiest way for non IT people to install Spotify on Kubuntu is to first install Gnome Software. Which has the Spotify snap in, ready to install. All familiar, user friendly tools that guide the user.
    if you are in good contact with the spotify dev's then you should suggest that they put up a .deb insed of just instructions for adding their repository to get the deb ,,,,a posted .deb could add their repo as it installs.

as to gnome-software ,,,,it may not be so easy to install it's self as you keep saying depending on what your running,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo apt-get -s install gnome-software
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    gnome-software : Depends: appstream but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo apt-get -s install appstream
    Building dependency tree       
    appstream is already the newest version (0.11.1-1+16.04+xenial+build22).
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
    + as far as I am concerned "snaps" kinda suck ,,,,you have a complete pseudo linux file system installed under root that opens multiple mounted loop devices for each snap running ,,,AND dose not unmount them when the "snap"is closed ,,,,very untidy ,,,,,and potentially distressing for a newer linux enthusiast when they discover the loop devices and have no idea where they came from.

Thanks. That is what I'd hoped. However Appimage is more work and knowledge and worry than a deb. Which just installs itself!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've downloaded say, Etcher, and extracted it. Now I have to put it somewhere, I suppose. I have no idea where all the other applications are? I don't want it getting accidentally deleted from the desktop. Or mixed up with my documents. I don't want to put it among all the system files that need root access. In case it breaks my distro.
    one would put it in a folder named ,,,O let's say "appimages" along with all the other appimages you have so they are in one nice place...and an appimage willnot brake your distro as it never installs (except for maybe a .desktop file so you have it in your menu of other applications) or alters anything , they are self contained

So where does it belong?
    It's easy to give it execute permission. But that's more steps to do. And then, how do I start the program? Normally it's there in the launcher menu. And then months down the line, I want to remove it, how do I do that? Where is it? Do I have loads of appimages? Can I see what I've got?
    All those steps and questions are covered consistently by the software manager normally. Say for a Discover app, or a ppa or a downloaded .deb. But an appimage is not clear, and requires much more unnecessary memorising.
    nonsense,,,,,you start the program by clicking the appimage file or if it was made to install a .desktop file it will be in your menu to launch like any thing else ,,to remove it you just delete the appimage file that should be in your appimage folder with all the rest of them unless your prone to being really messy with your stuff.

I will agree with you that one click solutions are wonderful ,,,but so far this is not entirely possible in all circumstances,,,,and as we are discussing the addition of a third party app ,,,, I would say it's up to them to make it as pane less as possible for the potential customer,,,,,,,,,that said I think they have done a wonderful job of giving instruction on how to add their repo and doing this IS the BEST way to get spotify at the moment ,,,,now IF they would make a down loadable .deb that installed the repo and the client ,,,,that would be the berry's

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
      You can have an Appimage anywhere. In the file manager (Dolphin), right click the AppImage file, click properties (bottom option), click the permissions tab and make sure "is executable" is checked. Once that is, double click the appimage file and it will run.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7301[/ATTACH]
      Yes. As I wrote in my post above, execute permission is the easy bit.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        if you are in good contact with the spotify dev's then you should suggest that they put up a .deb insed of just instructions for adding their repository to get the deb ,,,,a posted .deb could add their repo as it installs.

as to gnome-software ,,,,it may not be so easy to install it's self as you keep saying depending on what your running,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo apt-get -s install gnome-software
        Building dependency tree       
        Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
        requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
        distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
        or been moved out of Incoming.
        The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
        gnome-software : Depends: appstream but it is not going to be installed
        E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
        Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo apt-get -s install appstream
        Building dependency tree       
        appstream is already the newest version (0.11.1-1+16.04+xenial+build22).
        0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
        + as far as I am concerned "snaps" kinda suck ,,,,you have a complete pseudo linux file system installed under root that opens multiple mounted loop devices for each snap running ,,,AND dose not unmount them when the "snap"is closed ,,,,very untidy ,,,,,and potentially distressing for a newer linux enthusiast when they discover the loop devices and have no idea where they came from.

one would put it in a folder named ,,,O let's say "appimages" along with all the other appimages you have so they are in one nice place...and an appimage willnot brake your distro as it never installs (except for maybe a .desktop file so you have it in your menu of other applications) or alters anything , they are self contained

nonsense,,,,,you start the program by clicking the appimage file or if it was made to install a .desktop file it will be in your menu to launch like any thing else ,,to remove it you just delete the appimage file that should be in your appimage folder with all the rest of them unless your prone to being really messy with your stuff.

I will agree with you that one click solutions are wonderful ,,,but so far this is not entirely possible in all circumstances,,,,and as we are discussing the addition of a third party app ,,,, I would say it's up to them to make it as pane less as possible for the potential customer,,,,,,,,,that said I think they have done a wonderful job of giving instruction on how to add their repo and doing this IS the BEST way to get spotify at the moment ,,,,now IF they would make a down loadable .deb that installed the repo and the client ,,,,that would be the berry's

VINNY
        Yes, I already requested they do just as you said. As well as a rpm file. As .rpm files will self install on the rpm distros.

But regarding the appimage, and it's location, your suggestions need to be given to everyone when they first encounter them. Not here. Not to me.

They 'all' could behave like debs, and save people needing to find out what they have to do.
        Last edited by ianp5a; Jan 03, 2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Ok, if you still haven't got it installed. You can try this. Download the zip file attached and extract the file to a folder in Dolphin. Go to properties and make sure the file is executable.

In Dolphin, in the folder you extracted the file to, Press the F4 Key which will open a terminal window underneath. Type the following and press enter

Code:
          ./spotify
          This will install flatpak, the flathub repository and Spotify. You will be prompted for your password if you need to install flatpak.

spotify.zip

You can delete the file after you've finished with it.

Comment

Working...
          X