This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ianp5a View Post
    Assuming I'm new to the command line, or I'm afraid to try something new would actually be wrong. I'm only using Linux as you can try out loads of different desktop environments. I look at things from an ergonomics point of view. To decide if the command line is appropriate for someone's task, you need to know the task and their experience before stating that one UI is better than another. Are they using mouse or keyboard? Makes a difference. But it's rarely a case of a simple copy paste for many. It is usually preceded with frustration, web searching, forum posting, and then waiting for an answer before the command line can be used.

Which is why it is always better to get it fixed.
    Also true and very on-point. I always recommend to "complain" to the proper source (developers) or post proper bug reports when someone encounters parts of the software that don't work correctly. Generally, posting those things here gets little real traction.

To be totally fair - old folks like myself and Snowhog and a few others on here grew up in the DOS3.1 days. We tend to default to what we know well - that a simple one-liner fixes almost anything. Frankly, when advising someone else to do something in a forum, I find a copy-n-paste command line response to be a much easier way to reply than having to instruct someone to wade through a litany of menu selections with often mandatory screen-shots.

I do actually try to look for the "GUI" way to do things when I have time - just to compare realities. When appropriate, I even take the time to write things like Dolphin service menus to enable command line functionality in the GUI. Then I post about that here to help others who aren't as CLI savvy as some. All that aside: the real power of Linux is only exposed when you open and learn to use the terminal, geeky or not. Limiting oneself to a GUI only approach is to put MS Windows-like constraints on a exponentially more powerful (from a user's perspective) operating system. Through the GUI, you get eye-candy and ease of use, but you're limited to a developers idea of how something can be done or should be done and what can be done. With just a little command line knowledge and maybe some bash scripting, you can literally take total control of your system and make it do anything you want.

Please Read Me

Comment

The GUI and the command line each provide a useful way to interact with Linux. Sometimes one provides a better way to interact with your request than the other. When it's time to process a periodic software update, I'll use the command line to enter:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      which provides a really great way to see the results and capture errors or notices. If I want to install something new, but don't know the exact name, I'll use GUI apps Muon or Synaptic to help me find it and then install from there. So it never has to be "one or the other". I keep a list of useful commands in Leafpad or Kate so I can copy and paste to the command line - when memory fails.

It's all good and gets us where we want to be.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Remember, I specifically asked for an easy, non techie and family friendly solution.
        create a an admin user account for yourself on all your family members' Linux PC. Then you can use ssh to login to any one of them and do any maintenance tasks, add or remove remove programs, etc... That's what I do. My family can remain blissful idiots whilst I administer their PCs and keep them up to date from my laptop. I installed Juice SSh on my phone so I can update my mom's PC whenever I visit her, from my android phone.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Limiting oneself to a GUI only approach is to put MS Windows-like constraints on a exponentially more powerful (from a user's perspective) operating system. Through the GUI, you get eye-candy and ease of use, but you're limited to a developers idea of how something can be done or should be done and what can be done. With just a little command line knowledge and maybe some bash scripting, you can literally take total control of your system and make it do anything you want.
          Its important to make the power of Linux, whatever that is, available to all users. A GUI is not about 'graphics'. It's about including information about what options are available and automatically displaying the information that you'd need in a second or third command line command. With a GUI, people are very productive, and can do dynamic things where a text command has no chance. Many of us are not here to play at computers. We're here to get their tasks done.
          Last edited by ianp5a; Nov 21, 2017, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
            create a an admin user account for yourself on all your family members' Linux PC. Then you can use ssh to login to any one of them and do any maintenance tasks, add or remove remove programs, etc... That's what I do. My family can remain blissful idiots whilst I administer their PCs and keep them up to date from my laptop. I installed Juice SSh on my phone so I can update my mom's PC whenever I visit her, from my android phone.
            Thanks. But if you need to be an IT admin to run a Linux computer, then I'd dump Linux. I have no idea about those commands you suggested. Fortunately, they have developed great Desktop Environments where normal people can happily use Linux without having to learn special syntax and legacy methods. And people who aren't computer maintenance experts are not "idiots". They just wisely use software that does exactly what they want with ease to get their stuff done.

If Linux can't do that for them, then they go somewhere else.
            Kubuntu has one or two weaknesses. But other distros like Ubuntu Mate and Solus have Spotify ready for a one click install in their software centres. I use all 3. But I want Kubuntu to be as good.
            Last edited by ianp5a; Nov 21, 2017, 12:44 AM.

Comment

If Linux can't do that for them, then they go somewhere else.
              Kubuntu has one or two weaknesses. But other distros like Ubuntu Mate and Solus have Spotify ready for a one click install in their software centres. I use all 3. But I want Kubuntu to be as good.
              there is no magic as to why ubuntu mate has spotify. They just added it to the repos, same way you added it.
              Last edited by oshunluvr; Nov 21, 2017, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                there is no magic as to why ubuntu mate has spotify. They just added it to the repos, same way you added it.
                Which is good. It makes that distro usable for people who want Spotify, but are not IT nerds. They can get Spotify with one click, and get on with their lives, rather than chase around web forums. Desktop developers and distro makers understand the situation.
                Last edited by ianp5a; Nov 21, 2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Humm all this got me to look at Spotify ,,,,,,,,made a free acct.

installed the linux app ,,,,and by the way sining up for the free acct. resulted in me being redirected to the linux app page all by it's self

flowed the easy add the repo and keys steps (copy & paste the commands) and install the "Spotify-client"

Nice ,,,it seams to be working just fine , I am lisining to it wile typing this ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Nice ,,,,even though the free acct. has ads .

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I used it a lot before. I had 2 years of free spotify with cell phone provider. Back to spotify free now so it's not so hot. A lot of songs are blocked.

Comment

My kids love Spotify. I haven't really spent much time with it.

What's the difference if you pay? Just no ads or is there more?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        My kids love Spotify. I haven't really spent much time with it.

What's the difference if you pay? Just no ads or is there more?
                        I'm not sure ,,,,their was a list of the differences on their web site but I cant find the page now .

their was a lot more things in the payed list however I just do not remember what they were .

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

On Spotify’s site they specify that with a paid account you get these additional features (which aren’t available in a free account):

• Ad free
                          • Unlimited skips
                          • Listen offline
                          • Play any track
                          • High quality audio
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                            On Spotify’s site they specify that with a paid account you get these additional features (which aren’t available in a free account):
                            • Ad free
                            • Unlimited skips
                            • Listen offline
                            • Play any track
                            • High quality audio
                            A yes and I think also to see what your "friends" are listening to

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

You can also use a third party player to access Spotify if you pay premium.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                                You can also use a third party player to access Spotify if you pay premium.
                                Spotify plays very well with my SONOS wireless speaker system.
                                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
                                X