This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cannot connect to wifi

I am unable to connect to wifi with 17.04 using either network manager or wicd. Wired connection works okay. With wicd the wifi connections are scanned okay and appear to connect when selected, but there is no actual connection to the network. A similar thing happens with network manager.

The problem was introduced by updates, but I do not know which ones. I used a live USB to install 17.04 and found that the wifi connection worked until I applied updates.

Interestingly, using the the live USB to trouble shoot this problem has caused a problem with my dual boot.

Anyway first things first. Can anyone tell me what is happening with the wifi connection.

Thank you,
    Monon

wicd & NetworkManager can not be installed at the same time ,,,and still work , they conflict with each other .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thank you, Vinny, but I am not trying to run both network manager and Wicd at the same time. Using either product, not both, something got updated that killed the ability to connect to wifi. I can still use ethernet (wired connection) but that does not help me on the road. I might be able to fix the issue by installing 17.10, but I hate to go through that right now. I could also re-install 17.04 and just not install the updates. I ran 17.04 from a live USB and the wifi connection worked until I installed the updates. Still hoping someone else has experienced this and has a solution.

Thank you,
      Monon

Comment

Originally posted by monon View Post
        Thank you, Vinny, but I am not trying to run both network manager and Wicd at the same time.
        Monon
        it dose not mater if you are trying to "run" them at the same time ,,,they can not even be INSTALLED at the same time without conflicting , you must remove one of them .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I finally said the heck with it and upgraded to 17.10. All is working well now. As I said before, when using base 17.04 wifi worked. When the updates were added it quit working. Something in the updates regressed. I bought a new computer about a year ago and tried to use 16.04 LTS, but the wireless driver needed to be updated to match the new computer. So, I upgraded to 17.04. All worked well until recently, when I encountered the problem already described.

Thanks to all who helped,
          Monon

Comment

Working...
          X