Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I will do that but where to start? What logs are important?
    I did look at the BIOS but there are no parameters to set there.

I was thinking about the live-usb. Starting from usb doesn't give any trouble so is there a way to put something in grub to prevent the system from trying external screen right away. I already tried disabling kscreen2 but that is only on a user level and does not work.

Comment

Well, /var/log/Xorg.0.log and ~/.xsession-errors are the most likely candidates for graphics issues.

You might boot to a USB, copy the Xorg.0.log file onto the hard drive, then boot to the hard drive and compare the two Xorg files. If it works on the USB, it's possible to get it working on the hard drive. We just have to find the difference.

I saw this too: https://ananduvr.wordpress.com/2013/...-eeepc-1015pn/

Please Read Me

Comment

try this ,,,it cant hurt .

with both monitors attached start the system so it is displaying normally , go to system settings>display and monitor and "deactivate" the second monitor and click apply.

disconnect it's cord and reboot ,,,if that fixes it good if not go to /home/<you>/.local/share/ where <you> is your user name and delete the "kscreen" folder , disconnect the cord from the second monitor , log out and back in is it good ,,,reboot , is it good.

worth a try ,,, some times my box will boot if connected the second monitor as a "clone" if the primary screen (not your exact issue but similar) and this is what I do to ?re-set? it .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi all, thanks for all your help. I have been very busy getting all the files and plugging the external screen in and out. No success... BUT! I found the problem

It is the kernel. Kubuntu 17.10 comes with the 4.13 kernel which has a problem with Intel drivers:
          https://askubuntu.com/questions/9704...3-4-of-surface

So firstly I tried the newest kernel (4.14.01) but this one has the same issue. Thus I decided to downgrade to 4.12.
          I did not do this completely manual but I used Ukuu:
          https://mintguide.org/tools/691-ukuu...e-utility.html
          Just follow the explanation on this site and give the laptop time to install (it takes a while). After install is complete you can just close the windows.
          Ps.: After this I've un-installed Ukuu as it popped up with updates. You can also go to "System Settings/Startup and Shutdown/Autostart" and disable "Ukuu notification".

But now there are two kernels. I did not remove 4.13 because that way I see the new updates coming.
          Instead I boot in 4.12.
          For this I changed the boot order in Grub:
          https://askubuntu.com/questions/1002...rub-boot-order
          You can either do with a Gui or in a terminal. I prefer the Gui version because it gives a name to the entry and not a number. If you do it manual and you choose a entry number you have to be watchful when there is a new kernel update as this will shove the menu entry in grub
          Last edited by jurgen; Nov 24, 2017, 04:26 PM. Reason: I corrected the kernel number is should be 4.xx (instead of 3.xx)

Comment

Glad you found this out but is 3.12 a typo? Did you mean 4.12?

3.12 is 4 years old and will no longer be supported by anyone after this year.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Glad you found this out but is 3.12 a typo? Did you mean 4.12?

3.12 is 4 years old and will no longer be supported by anyone after this year.
              Oops, you're right... just edited it into the correct number.

Comment

I have the exactely same Problem wit Lubuntu 17.10 and the Asus 1000h, but the solution didn't work for me.
                When I start up the eeePC the Display went from black to red, then green and blue. After this I have the same brocken Display as in the Screenshots in this thread.
                What does these red-green screens mean? Is it some sort of error code?

I installed the 4.12 Kernel as described, but the Netbook start the 4.13 Kernel anyways.

Within Ukuu I found the option to display the grub boot manager (to change the kernel within boot-process?) but nothing changed. I cannot see any grub Boot loader within the boot process... :-(

Does someone know something else to do?

Comment

You can select the kernel in the grub menu. Just down arrow to "other option" or whatever it says, then select the 4.12 kernel. The default is to always boot to the highest kernel.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi, your eeepc will display a BIOS screen first. As soon as this screen disappears you'll have to press ESC.
                    Then the GRUB menu comes up and you can select the second option (other options). Here you should see the kernel marked as 4.12. If it is not there you might want to run Ukuu again. I had to run it three times before it installed the kernel without errors.
                    Then try to change GRUB with the GUI as described in this post: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1002...rub-boot-order (the post about Grub Customizer).

Comment

Thanks Juergen, finally it works!

Comment

@Jurgen OT: excuse me, may I ask if you upgraded your eeePC anyhow? I added 1GB of ram and ask myself if it will economic to change the HD to a cheap SSD.

Does Firefox (the new one) plays Youtube Video on your eeePC? On mine it stuck :-(
                        cannot understand - with WinXP everything works smooth.

Comment

Working...
                        X