• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer doesn't work on PDFs ?

I am using a
    Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet Professional M1212nf MFP
    hooked to my network.
    On most things it works fine but on PDF files it's a mess.
    On each attempt I get at least one page of what looks like some kind of huge digital field or something. The page is just filled with ink and there are no pictures or letters.

Suggestions?

G

PS
    I am using Okular and Evince
    Last edited by GregM; Nov 13, 2017, 08:22 AM.
    Greg
    W9WD

Do these affected .pdf files display properly in both applications?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes they look just fine.
      What I have been doing is to use Ksnapshot to take a jpg of the page and then print that.
      Not the easiest of techniques.
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

What driver are you using?

Comment

Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet Professional M1212nf MFP Foomatic/foo2xqx
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

Do you have the hplip package installed?

Comment

Not sure.
              How can I tell?
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

Just try to install it: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install hplip

If it’s already installed; and up to date; you’ll be told as much. If it isn’t installed, it will install.

Comment

I did the sudo apt-get install hplip
                  and this is what I got...

greg@greg-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo apt-get install hplip
                  [sudo] password for greg:
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  hplip is already the newest version (3.16.3+repack0-1).
                  The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                  bbswitch-dkms dkms libjansson4 libkwineffects8 libkwinglutils8 libkwinxrenderutils8 libqt5qml-graphicaleffects libxnvctrl0
                  linux-headers-4.4.0-21 linux-headers-4.4.0-21-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-38 linux-headers-4.4.0-38-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-78
                  linux-headers-4.4.0-78-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-79 linux-headers-4.4.0-79-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-81
                  linux-headers-4.4.0-81-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-83 linux-headers-4.4.0-83-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-87
                  linux-headers-4.4.0-87-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-89 linux-headers-4.4.0-89-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-91
                  linux-headers-4.4.0-91-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-92 linux-headers-4.4.0-92-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-93
                  linux-headers-4.4.0-93-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-96 linux-headers-4.4.0-96-generic linux-image-4.4.0-21-generic
                  linux-image-4.4.0-38-generic linux-image-4.4.0-78-generic linux-image-4.4.0-79-generic linux-image-4.4.0-81-generic
                  linux-image-4.4.0-83-generic linux-image-4.4.0-87-generic linux-image-4.4.0-89-generic linux-image-4.4.0-91-generic
                  linux-image-4.4.0-92-generic linux-image-4.4.0-93-generic linux-image-4.4.0-96-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-21-generic
                  linux-image-extra-4.4.0-38-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-78-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-79-generic
                  linux-image-extra-4.4.0-81-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-83-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-87-generic
                  linux-image-extra-4.4.0-89-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-91-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-92-generic
                  linux-image-extra-4.4.0-93-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-96-generic oxygen5-icon-theme qtdeclarative5-xmllistmodel-plugin
                  screen-resolution-extra snap-confine
                  Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
                  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 400 not upgraded.
                  greg@greg-System-Product-Name:~$
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

So already installed and ‘up to date’.

Is the printing issue on ‘every .pdf file’, or just on ‘certain .pdf files’? Specifically, where were the affected .pdf files obtained from? Are they ‘fillable’ .pdf files?

Comment

Not every (as I recall) pdf file screws up, some actually print the pages correctly but add a screwy page as described above.
                      It's only pdf files that it does this. Everything else works fine.
                      The most recent is from WA St Ferries with reservations for a ferry ride. (last night)
                      Not sure what a ‘fillable’ .pdf file is, but if it is blanks that can be filled in, no.
                      Greg
                      W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                        0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 400 not upgraded.
                        greg@greg-System-Product-Name:~$
                        You should look at why you're seeing "400 not upgraded" ASAP. Don't you update your system regularly?
                        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I do (I think)
                          I use the sudo apt-get update quite frequently
                          Greg
                          W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                            I do (I think)
                            I use the sudo apt-get update quite frequently
                            But you need to follow that up each time with at least
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get upgrade
                            I prefer
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

If it were my system, I'd never run "apt-get upgrade", I'd always do "apt-get dist-upgrade". Since 2014, you can use "apt" instead of "apt-get" if you wish. "apt" has a couple more features. I do "sudo apt update; sudo apt list --upgradable" which shows you what needs upgrading. If satisfied with what you see, then do "sudo apt full-upgrade".

I'd also not muck about with anything else until you do the full upgrade and then clean off all that cruft (sudo apt-get autoremove) before I do much else.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X