Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

32 bit K-Ubuntu ISOs open as text file when using Dolphin.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32 bit K-Ubuntu ISOs open as text file when using Dolphin.

I downloaded both the 32 bit and the 64 bit ISOs of Kubuntu 17.10. When I clicked on the 32 bit ISO, Dolphin attempted to open it with Kate! To verify, I re-downloaded it and also downloaded the Ubuntu 32 server ISO and they both open as a text file. The odd thing is, in Dolphin if I right-click and check the file properties, Kate is not in the list of options, which is correct. All other ISOs I currently have open with ISOMaster, as I have in the File Type Options list.

My assumption is that Dolphin displays file options based on one thing, but opens the file based on another - which I think might be a bug. Either it is an ISO or not. Seems odd to me that when I right-click on these two ISOs, Dolphin file properties indicate they are "raw CD images" yet acts on them as though they are "plain text files". This holds true regardless if the ISO file itself is somehow mis-configured. Dolphin should behave as it advertises.

Then I noticed that the 32 bit ISO was displayed with the text file icon whereas the 64 bit ISO had the disk image icon. Removing the .iso extension from both files results in Dolphin showing the 32 bit iso as a text file - i.e. a right-click action and displaying file properties shows it as a text file. It appears Dolphin uses one bit of logic to determine a file type when displaying it's icon and file properties yet another bit of logic when clicking on it. If it's detected as a text file, why does file properties show it as a CD image file?

Seems like there is a disconnect in Dolphin somewhere.

Can anyone else confirm or explain this behavior?

Please Read Me

I can confirm this behavior but @hear it seems random ,,, about 1/2 my .iso's display as a text file and the rest as disk images ,,,,,all the Kubuntu ones ,,,,display as disk , the Neon , Debian , Gparted ,,,all as text

Dolphin 5.08.3
    KDE Frameworks 5.40.0

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

IF this observed behavior is widespread, I’d say it has to be a bug (one maybe already known by the developer(s)). Have either of you checked?
      Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 12, 2017, 10:58 AM.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Interesting, I have 13 .iso files and they all show as disk images with the exception of Solus Budgie, which shows as a text file. They are all 64 bit.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Probably this:

Bug 337035 - KDE does not play well with shared-mime-info after update from 1.2-2 to 1.3-1. "Breaks" .iso files (.txt file icon / behavior). - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=337035

Upstream is the freedesktop:

Bug 80877 - [shared-mime-info] update from 1.2-2 to 1.3-1 "breaks" .iso files (.txt file icon / behavior). - https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=80877

Short by Frank Reininghaus https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=337035#c44

The code from kdelibs and KDE Frameworks 5/QMimeDatabase (which is used by the current and future Dolphin version) do use magic, i.e., look at the file contents, if the mime type cannot be determined unambiguously from the extension. You can see that easily if you look at a directory like /usr/bin, where there are lots of files without extension.

The problem that we have here is that there are multiple mime types for the pattern *.iso, namely,

application/x-cd-image
          application/x-wii-rom
          application/x-gamecube-rom

The latter two were added in and have "magic" patterns that can be used to distinguish them by looking at the file contents.

However, application/x-cd-image does not have any such "magic" pattern...
          Last edited by Rog131; Nov 12, 2017, 11:19 AM.
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
          X