This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-EFI USB drive only boots in 32-bit?

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum. I'm trying to install Kubuntu 64-bit on my laptop. i have Windows 7 installed through non-EFI mode. I am able to force non-EFI boot when I created the Kubuntu USB live drive but the live drive boots in 32-bit mode and then installs that way. I tried all other flavors of Ubuntu the same way and they all boot in 64-bit. Is there some way to force Kubuntu to boot and install as 64-bit? It only does 64-bit if I boot it in EFI mode, which I don't want.

I think you need to select certain option(s) in your computer's BIOS firmware. For non-EFI, I believe you turn ON the CSM option -- the Compatibility Support Module.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloa...-bad-ugly.html
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If you have a 64 bit iso, it will not install as 32 bit, there are separate images for each. How are you determining that the 64 bit live image is running and installing as a 32 bit one?

Comment

Looks like I may have misunderstood the issue! I thought he had a 64-bit iso and wanted to install it using GRUB Legacy booting, not UEFI booting. Now I'm not sure exactly what he means.

Comment

Sounds like you downloaded a 32-bit iso, not a 64-bit iso. You can get the ‘correct’ iso at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...17.10/release/
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              I think you need to select certain option(s) in your computer's BIOS firmware. For non-EFI, I believe you turn ON the CSM option -- the Compatibility Support Module.
              yes I did this. CSM is turned on. I selected the non-EFI option.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Sounds like you downloaded a 32-bit iso, not a 64-bit iso. You can get the ‘correct’ iso at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...17.10/release/
                literally what i downloaded but the issue persists

Comment

strange, i downloaded it for the 6th time from the exact same link and finally it worked. no clue what the heck happened here. maybe it is the USB stick i've been using. anyways, thanks everyone!

Comment

maybe it is the USB stick
                    Along those lines ... There is this (I copied this text from one of my how-to's, without modifying it for here):

Boot the Kubuntu installer in UEFI mode: With the DVD/USB installer, reboot the PC, enter the computer's UEFI setup by pressing the correct key for your computer. Find the boot menu (or boot override menu) where the bootable devices are listed. Choose the one that corresponds to the Kubuntu UEFI DVD or USB (it may also show up as a "normal" DVD/USB choice). Look for UEFI /(FAT) or a reference to UEFI. (Example: a DVD may appear as "UEFI (FAT) TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB (1028 MB)") Select the UEFI DVD or USB option from the firmware boot menu and boot up with it. Now proceed as you usually do to install Kubuntu. If asked where to install GRUB boot-loader, simply choose sda (it won't really matter as the installer will automatically identify and use the proper ESP (EFI System Partition)).
                    You get the idea: Your firmware "BIOS" may see TWO different USB installers--one being UEFI and one being non-UEFI. Maybe you noticed this? picked the wrong one? or didn't notice it and picked the wrong one by a 50% draw?
                    Then again, there are those gremlins that persist to try our patience and our dedication to Linux/Kubuntu.

Comment

AFAIK, the 64-bit ISO couldn't possibly boot into "32 bit mode" because there's no such thing. Either you have a 32 bit (i386) ISO or a 64 bit (amd64) ISO. Once installed, the 64 bit version can run most (all?) 32 bit software by installing the proper libraries, but it's still a 64 bit OS.

Remotely possible that the download was mis-named on the server side when you first downloaded it, but I've never known that to happen either. Easy enough to tell - the 32 bit ISO does not contain the EFI folder at all. The 64 bit ISO has the EFI folder and a x86_64-efi folder under /boot/grub/.

The interesting and yet unanswered question is Claydoh's: "How are you determining that the 64 bit live image is running and installing as a 32 bit one?"

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X