This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 17.10 Korean Chinese Japanese Input

I cannot get Kubuntu 17.10 to allow Korean, Chinese, or Japanese input. I have no problems enabling these inputs on Ubuntu 17.10 but cannot get them to work on Kubuntu 17.10 even though Kubuntu seems to have the ability to install various input methods. I prefer the Kubuntu interface to Ubuntu.

Any suggestions.

Claude

Update:

I figured out how to get ibus to work but it appears that the built-in keyboard layout methods of Kubuntu is totally useless and no one seems to know how to get it to work.

The following will get ibus to work on Kubuntu 17.10.

1. Delete any layouts you may have setup in >System Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Layouts. This will ensure that you do not have a double set of icons on your task bar for the input methods.

2. Open Konsole and enter the following command: sudo apt-get install ibus ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3 ibus-qt4 ibus-clutter

3. Enter your password when requested and answer all prompts with "Y" when asked.

4. Install your ibus language packages by running the following command (these are the language packages I installed): sudo apt-get install ibus-hangul ibus-sunpinyin ibus-anthy

This is a listing of ibus language packages:

- Japanese, MOZC (best): ibus-mozc (This may be best but I could not get it to work)
    - Japanese, Anthy (good): ibus-anthy
    - Japanese, SKK (EMACS style): ibus-skk
    - Korean language: ibus-hangul
    - Traditional Chinese: ibus-chewing
    - Simplified Chinese: ibus-pinyin
    - Simplified Chinese (SUN): ibus-sunpinyin
    - Simplified Chinese (Google): ibus-googlepinyin
    - Vietnamese: ibus-unikey
    - Many table based input method: ibus-table*

5. Run im-congif from Konsole with: "sudo im-config" Click "OK" on the Input Method Configuration window. Click "Yes" on the next window that pops up. In the next window, select "ibus" and click "OK."

6. Run "Set IBus Preferences" and click on the "Input Method" tab and add your input methods.

7. Restart your system and everything should work fine.
    Last edited by Guest; Nov 12, 2017, 05:40 AM. Reason: Solved problem

Thank you for these instructions. They worked for me on KDE neon 5.12, as well as on kubuntu on my laptop.
    A few notes:

1. I had to change the user of a config directory, user and group was set to root. I don't know if these instructions caused it or if it was a result of me earlier messing around with ibus. Anyway here's how to fix it:
    % cd ~/.config
    % chown -R username:username ibus

2. You don't have to delete any layouts: I was surprised how well KDE's Keyboard Layouts can coexist with ibus! I set in ibus preferences (right click on taskbar icon) Preferences>Advanced>Use system keyboard layout to false. Now when I change layouts with either ibus (meta+space or taskbar icon) or with the classic kde widget the according layout will be set as active and override the previous setting.

3. I made several input methods in ibus, now I can type in German or English (swapped y & z) or even Dvorak if I feel fancy. Change ibus-layout to input language, and then to anthy, and you can have the according input be converted to Japanese. I set the layouts in KDE system settings to show the flag symbol, as ibus's anthy-symbol does not show the current input layout.

4. ibus worked immediately, but not in all programs: LibreOffice, Gedit, Leafpad, Blender and Firefox worked fine; Kate, Kwrite, Steam, Telegram, Krita and Dolphin didn't work with the anthy-conversion to Japanese (both kubuntu & kde-neon). Seems to be specific to Qt applications (?). Does anyone have the same problem, or knows a solution? The tips e.g. on the ArchWiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IBus seem outdated

Comment

It's a headache for me! I want to use Amharic layout which works only through iBus but I hate changing layout with "super +". I would use CapsLock for layout switch. Looks like ubuntu team dealing with this features much better - I could pick a m17n layout from default keyboard settings.

Comment

Working...
      X