This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being Brave with Bionic Beaver Kubuntu 18.04

For the brave at heart, you can now download Bionic Beaver from here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

I have installed it and am doing this post from Bionic Beaver. Still early days and I have yet to install all my favourite packages.

It currently has:
    KDE Plasma 5.10.5
    KDE Frameworks Version 5.38.0
    Qt Version 5.9.1
    Kernel Version 4.13.0-16-generic

I am looking forward to the development of this new LTS version.

At the moment we have a Qt 5.9.1 -> 5.9.2 transition going on, other blocking transitions being done, the archive open and autosync from Debian running, so the test queues are enormous etc. Hence no significant new KDE stuff uploaded at the moment for Bionic.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
      At the moment we have a Qt 5.9.1 -> 5.9.2 transition going on, other blocking transitions being done, the archive open and autosync from Debian running, so the test queues are enormous etc. Hence no significant new KDE stuff uploaded at the moment for Bionic.
      Thanks for the insight on what is ahead for Bionic.

From what you indicated, I decided to add the extra repositories some of which have the warning:

DO NOT USE ON PRODUCTION SYSTEMS

Since this is not in the state of a production system, I added:
      Code:
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-plasma
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
      To change my system to be updated with proposed packages I did the following:

Muon Package Manager > Configure Software Sources > Updates > select tab "Unsupported Updates" > Close

After adding the unsupported option, 393 packages were updated!

To get the latest kernel available, I added the following:
      Code:
      sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-kernel-team/unstable
      Now my system looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bionic_Beaver1.png
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	643653

I am using this system to make this post and I must say that in my limited testing it is still behaving. You guys are doing a great job and I continue to be impressed.

The only annoying problem is the crash of Kontact when I shutdown, reboot or logout.
      Last edited by NoWorries; Nov 11, 2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I started looking for more ppa's to allow encrypted DVD's to be played, ie I needed to install libdvd-pkg. I could not find it, so in my search, I decided to also add extra sites to improve the applications that I had. These are:
        Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-misc
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-kdeapplications
        [S]sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next[/S]
        The staging-kdeapplications resulted in just over 200 packages to be installed and the firefox-next installed Version 57.

EDIT:
        The ppa for Firefox next resulted in version 58 being installed and this did not work very well. So I have decided to use Chromium on Bionic instead.

I still could not find libdvd-pkg as I required the multiverse repository, so I ended up using Synaptic to install it by addding:

URl: http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
        Distribution: bionic
        Sections: multiverse main

After doing this I could install libdvd-pkg and all is working very well now.
        Last edited by NoWorries; Nov 15, 2017, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Looking forward to 18.04.1 ...

The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Unfortunately, due to Family support responsibilities, I will be leaving for the UK tomorrow. The time away will be until mid-March, and I will not have any access to a Bionic Beaver system to check on progress.

One option that I might indulge in is to get another Laptop in the UK and install Bionic Beaver. If successful, you will once again hear from me. I am hoping to get, at a good price, a Dell XPS 15 9560.

So au revoir from this thread for now.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
              Unfortunately, due to Family support responsibilities, I will be leaving for the UK tomorrow. The time away will be until mid-March, and I will not have any access to a Bionic Beaver system to check on progress.

One option that I might indulge in is to get another Laptop in the UK and install Bionic Beaver. If successful, you will once again hear from me. I am hoping to get, at a good price, a Dell XPS 15 9560.
              I was able to get the Dell XPS 15, unfortunately I could not get a VAT Refund from Dell in the UK. I also, found that the Keyboard was a UK version and all my other computers in Australia have the US keyboard. So these two issues were a minus in the purchase.

The final negative is that it could not install the 18.04 Alpha boot USB. The most recent release that could be installed was Kubuntu 17.04. The approach that I used to attempt the installation of Kubuntu can be found at: https://github.com/rcasero/doc/wiki/...-XPS-15-(9560).

I am much relieved that Dell are prepared to refund and accept the return of the Dell XPS. After this experience, I will only buy a Laptop in OZ and from what I have found out after this experience is that I will most likely buy another ASUS. I have found this site where a user could install Ubuntu 18.04. https://askubuntu.com/questions/9670...ux550ve/988969

So I will now tread very carefully when I select another Laptop.

Comment

Working...
              X