This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password breaks yet agin in this bugged version of Kubuntu

Maybe 17.10 was released too soon. now my password dosn't work again. The last time this happened I fixed it by abruptly killing the power, but that isn't working this time. Should roll back @ or @home to fix this or is there a .bak file some place I can revert to?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

When was the last time you ran the memory check for several hours (over night) on your system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

How do I do that? I just got this computer last week. The source assures me everything is fine.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Memory check is an option on the menu of the LiveUSB device you created to install Kubuntu.

It also has an option to check the LiveUSB itself. Try that first to be sure you had a going burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

The live DVD only asks 2 things. If I want to install or use a live session. It never asks anything else.

Comment

It is working again. For some reason after using the live dvd, I was able to reboot and get to the grub menu. I selected the repair option and ran the package repair utility. It downloaded about 14 packages and now the system boots again and my password is working again. Maybe because I only rolled back @, since I didn't have a @home snapshot. Now that I have it working again, I think I will make new snapshots of both @ and @home. Future rollbacks should be easier.

Comment

Do you have a backup device that's btrfs?? You might consider automating snapshots and/or backups. Here's the script I'm using on both my computers;

Code:
              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]#!/bin/bash[/COLOR]

# Log the script activity
              exec 1> >(logger -s -t $(basename $0)) 2>&1

# Set the variables
              # Distro subvolume name to snapshot and backup;
              distro="@KDEneon"

# Source and backup parent file system mount points and devices with their UUIDs;
              source_mount="/subvol/"
              backup1_mount="/backup/"
              backup2_mount="/backup2/"
              source_device="/dev/sdc3"
              backup1_device="/dev/sda4"
              backup2_device="/dev/sdb3"
              source_UUID=`lsblk -no UUID "$source_device"`
              backup1_UUID=`lsblk -no UUID "$backup1_device"`
              backup2_UUID=`lsblk -no UUID "$backup2_device"`

# Dates to do things;
              today=_`date +%y%m%d`
              ## Age in days to remove snapshots.
              snapremoveday=_`date +%y%m%d --date="-3 day"`
              ## Age in days to keep backups.
              backupkeepday=_`date +%y%m%d --date="-7 day"`
              ## Age in days to remove backups.
              backupremoveday=_`date +%y%m%d --date="-14 day"`

# Assemble the above variables into single variables;
              ## The source is the full path and distro subvolume name combined;
              source="$source_mount""$distro"
              ## Snapshot name is the source with today's date appended;
              newsnap="$source""$today"
              ## Snapshot to be deleted is the source with the snapshot removal date appended;
              oldsnap="$source""$snapremoveday"
              ## Name for read-only snapshot used for backups is the source with _ro and today's date appended;
              newbackup="$distro"_ro"$today"
              ## Name for the oldest backup is the subvolume name with the backup removal date appended;
              oldbackup="$distro""$backupremoveday"

# Verify the parent file system is mounted and mount it if not;
              if ! mountpoint -q "$source_mount"
              then  
                  mount "$source_device" "$source_mount"
              fi

# Delete the oldest snapshot;
              if [ -d "$oldsnap" ]
                  then  
                     btrfs su de -c "$oldsnap"
                  fi

# Take a new read-write snapshot;
                  btrfs su sn "$source" "$newsnap"
                  touch "$newsnap"

# For backups; Take a read-only snapshot and send it to the backup
              # locations, make backup snapshots bootable, and delete oldest backups.

# Verify it's backup day;
              if [ `date +%w` = 0 ]
              then

# Take a read-only snapshot
                btrfs su sn -r "$source" "$source_mount""$newbackup"

# Verify the backup file systems are mounted and mount them it if not;
                  if ! mountpoint -q "$backup1_mount"
                  then
                      mount "$backup1_device" "$backup1_mount"
                  fi
                  if ! mountpoint -q "$backup2_mount"
                  then
                      mount "$backup2_device" "$backup2_mount"
                  fi

# Delete oldest backups;
                  if [ -d "$backup1_mount""$oldbackup" ]
                  then
                      btrfs su de -c "$backup1_mount""$oldbackup"
                  fi
                  if [ -d "$backup2_mount""$oldbackup" ]
                  then
                      btrfs su de -c "$backup2_mount""$oldbackup"
                  fi

# Rename previous week's backups by adding backupkeepday;
                  mv "$backup1_mount""$distro" "$backup1_mount""$distro""$backupkeepday"
                  mv "$backup2_mount""$distro" "$backup2_mount""$distro""$backupkeepday"
              ## The renaming prepares the oldest backup to be deleted next week and renames  
              ## the current backup so we're ready to receive the newest backup.

# Send the read-only snapshot to the backup locations;
                  btrfs send "$source_mount""$newbackup" | btrfs receive "$backup1_mount"
                  btrfs send "$source_mount""$newbackup" | btrfs receive "$backup2_mount"

# Take a read-write snapshot of the received backups and using the distro name;
                  btrfs su sn "$backup1_mount""$newbackup" "$backup1_mount""$distro"
                  btrfs su sn "$backup2_mount""$newbackup" "$backup2_mount""$distro"

# Delete read-only snapshots because they are no longer needed;
                  btrfs su de -c "$backup1_mount""$newbackup"
                  btrfs su de -c "$backup2_mount""$newbackup"
                  btrfs su de -c "$source_mount""$newbackup"

# Edit the UUIDs in grub and fstab so the backups are bootable;
              ### NOT YET VERIFIED AS WORKING###
                  sed -i "s@$source_UUID@$backup1_UUID@" "$backup1_mount""$distro"/etc/fstab
                  sed -i "s@$source_UUID@$backup2_UUID@" "$backup2_mount""$distro"/etc/fstab
                  sed -i "s@$source_UUID@$backup1_UUID@" "$backup1_mount""$distro"/boot/grub/grub.cfg
                  sed -i "s@$source_UUID@$backup2_UUID@" "$backup2_mount""$distro"/boot/grub/grub.cfg
              ## This sed command is a replace-in-place action to change the UUIDs from the source to  
              ## the backup file systems. The goal here is to make the backups bootable.
              fi

# Notify of completion of tasks;
              # Verify it's backup day;
              if [ `date +%w` = 0 ]
              # Notify that backup tasks are complete and the old backups and snapshot are deleted;
              then
                  su - stuart -c "notify-send -i package-install -t 0 'Desktop backup:' 'Backup made and sent. Old backups and snapshot removed.'"
              else
              # Notify that a snapshot has been taken and the old one deleted;
                  su - stuart -c "notify-send -i package-install -t 0 'Desktop snapshot:' 'Daily snapshot made. Old snapshot removed.'"
              fi

# Script complete
              exit 0

[/FONT]
              I did have one problem with it - my backup file system was full so the transmitted backup didn't complete. I have a bunch of old stuff on there that i need to dump so it's all good now. I run two version of the script as root from a cronjob, one snapshots and backs up the boot subvolume and the other does the home subvolume.

If you want to try it out and have questions - post back.

Please Read Me

Comment

Back again.

Comment

So far it's been over an hour since I started trying to fix this. I wish when Ubuntu fixes something it would stay fixed and not return months later. 😬

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                    So far it's been over an hour since I started trying to fix this. I wish when Ubuntu fixes something it would stay fixed and not return months later. 
                    The problem is most likely with your system somehow. I don't know of anyone else having this issue here on there forums, and a quick search of the KDE Forums came up empty also.
                    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                      The live DVD only asks 2 things. If I want to install or use a live session. It never asks anything else.
                      That's unusual. As I recall, there has always been an option on a LiveDVD or LiveUSB to checksum the ISO.

Memory check is also an option on the Grub menu.

Roll back to a previous -r only copy of @ and @home should take no more than 5 minutes.
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 27, 2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X