This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from 17.04 advice

After upgrading from 17.04 I had an issue with screen flickering, locked desktop, slow desktop or even crashes of apps and the desktop.

After rebooting into a live usb i solved this issue(s) by going /home/myuser and renaming .config and .kde to something like .kde_old and .config_old.

Now the system is working fine again.

I hope this helps anyone with the same issues.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Obviously, some older config file conflicted with the new version. This is why many of us don't do version upgrades, we do a fresh install instead.

Please Read Me

Comment

Exactly.
      Experience has taught me that the best way to do a version upgrade is to do a fresh install, after backing up my important data, of course.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

nah, I just go for it. My desktop PC has a dead power supply fan, and really is on its last legs but I think I want to keep it going as the drive in it goes all the way back to Raring, and maybe further, doing 6 month upgrades up to 17.04. Zero reinstalls.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          nah, I just go for it. My desktop PC has a dead power supply fan, and really is on its last legs but I think I want to keep it going as the drive in it goes all the way back to Raring, and maybe further, doing 6 month upgrades up to 17.04. Zero reinstalls.
          Shows your true sadistic side, that right there!
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            nah, just switch your sources.list to the development version at the start of each 6 months, and roll with it.
            Last edited by acheron; Nov 02, 2017, 10:59 AM.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Doesn't 17.10 move to wayland? That's a major overhaul under the hood, no?

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                Doesn't 17.10 move to wayland? That's a major overhaul under the hood, no?
                Not by default for Kubuntu.
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                  Shows your true sadistic side, that right there!
                  Actually, no. Other than having to remove unused kernel/header packages once as I ran out of inodes, it has been smooth sailing, pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                    nah, just switch your sources.list to the development version at the start of each 6 months, and roll with it.
                    That's how I used to run my daily driver laptop, pre-Neon.
                    Actually, that is how I ran Kubuntu on my laptops du jour going back to the first Plasma 4 versions. I had just got hold of a hand-me-down Pentium M laptop, so of course that is the day the PC I had decided to die out on me. And double-of-course the only bootable disk I had was one of the earliest daily 8.10 images. It was......usable, but i never went back to running normal, official release material

Doing official upgrades on stock releases is probably more daring, but I am probably just lucky.

Comment

Working...
                    X