This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Error Occurred While Applying Changes Error Msg

Do a normal update which is always pushed to me.

Going fine then the update window goes full screen (never happened before) and I get the following error msg:

The only thing I can understand in the error msg is "no space left on device".

I then ran this which is Greek to me:

Any help down at my level would be truly appreciated.

Thanks
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Your root partion ( / ) on /dev/sda7 is 98% full. There isn’t enough space left to download and unpack/configure the packages in this update. You need to cleanup your system by removing either or both, previously downloaded/installed packages and unneeded kernels (you likely have a lot of them installed).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks. How is that procedure accomplished?

This? sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoremove
      Last edited by logan01; Oct 31, 2017, 12:43 PM.
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Make sudo apt-get update the last, so:

sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get update

The run df -h and post the output so I can see how much space you recovered.

Comment

Code:
          Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
          udev            3.9G  4.0K  3.9G   1% /dev
          tmpfs           788M  1.2M  787M   1% /run
          /dev/sda7        28G   25G  1.2G  96% /
          none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
          none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
          none            3.9G  437M  3.5G  12% /run/shm
          none            100M   20K  100M   1% /run/user
          /dev/sda8        55G   19G   34G  36% /home
          /dev/sda2       256M  128M  129M  50% /boot/efi
          /dev/sda9        22G   62M   21G   1% /media/richard/New Volume
          richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$
          HP15 -

Comment

Only 2% recovered. THAT almost certainly means that you have a boat load of installed kernels.

Open Muon Package Manager and search on headers that are Installed. How many are there?

Comment

I see at the bottom of the Muon window I have 2,026 pkgs installed. This? I also see under "edit" of the Muon window I have the option to "Remove Unnecessary Packages".
              HP15 -

Comment

Uh, your root drive is %98 full. Either you have several dozen kernels installed or you've been storing something on the boot drive instead of in your home.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have almost 3,000 so I doubt that's it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
                    I see at the bottom of the Muon window I have 2,026 pkgs installed. This? I also see under "edit" of the Muon window I have the option to "Remove Unnecessary Packages".
                    In Muon Package Manager, under Category, click on By Status and then on Installed. Search on linux-headers. How many are installed?

Comment

Must have a bunch of those kernals. Whenever I download files they are stored to my home>documents, home>downloads, blah, blah, blah. I wouldn't even know how to store to my boot drive.
                      HP15 -

Comment

FYI, my 2900+ packages are about 19G.

You should also look at /tmp

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          In Muon Package Manager, under Category, click on By Status and then on Installed. Search on linux-headers. How many are installed?
                          I'm in linux-headers. Am I to physically count each one? There's a bunch but I'll do what's needed.
                          HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
                            I'm in linux-headers. ... There's a bunch...
                            All are showing Status as Installed? If 'yes', that's your problem.

One really only needs two kernel version installed on their system: the current one (the one you are booting into) and the previous one. Any more than that an you are taking up precious space on your root partition.

Comment

remove all but the one you're using now and one version older, along with all the associated images. HINT: If you select the linux-images, the headers will fall into "autoremove" status.

To figure out what you're using now, open the Info Center and look at your kernel version there. Keep it and one number lower. I.e. if you're booting 4.4.0-59, keep it and 4.4.0-58

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X