This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin's auto scroll speed too fast

I find that Dolphin's auto scroll that occurs during file block-selection when the mouse is nearing the bottom of the file-pane is far to fast. Is there a way to slow it down? Click this animated gif to see what I mean (it's not speeded up):

Click image for larger version

Name:	dolphin-autoscroll.gif
Views:	1
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	649242

@hear ,,,,that auto scroll is variable speed ,,,,,slowly ,first entering the zone of beginning the action ,the scrolling is slow ,,,bring down the mouse just a little bit further and it speeds up ,,,,a little farther ,,,and yes way to fast .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

From what I am able to gather, neither Dolphin or Plasma exposes the QScroller::velocity constant to allow user adjustment.
      Perhaps Rog131 has a neat workaround?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        ... neither Dolphin or Plasma exposes the QScroller::velocity constant to allow user adjustment ...
        OK, thanks. I guess that my main complaint is that the scrolling happens when I'm not expecting it. I use Oxygen widgets and a 9pt Dejavu font to fit a reasonable number of files into the pane, so the scrolling starts when I'm three files up from the bottom of the pane. If there was a way to completely disable the auto scrolling, I'd rather have that than the way it behaves at the moment. (If I did then want multi-page selection, I could select the first file with the mouse, then hold down the shift key and select subsequent files with the arrow keys or pageup/pagedown keys.)

Comment

Curious complaint. @here, I find Dolphin scrolling not nearly as annoying as it occurs in Windows. I find in Dolphin that if I approach the edge of the window, the scrolling begins at the pace or "pressure" that I put on it. In other words, if I slowly and gingerly creep towards the edge, it begins to scroll rather slowly, but if I forcefully and quickly plunge to the edge the scrolling goes very quickly. I just tested this and I can change the scroll speed at will by approaching or backing away slightly from the window edge. Seems like it works perfectly in my view. The difference might be the small size you showed in your example. I have a large monitor and my dolphin window is large and the font is 10 point, which looks smallish as this resolution.

I agree the beginning of the auto-scroll is highly annoying if you aren't expecting it. You have in mind to select a group of files and the last one is on the screen, but at or near the edge. Just as you are almost there the scroll begins and you're lost for a moment.

Of course - work-flow wise - you can always avoid the auto-scroll all-together by not dragging toward a file that's already on-screen and near the edge. You can use the "click then shift-click" method without causing a scroll action at all. You can even manually scroll with your mouse wheel to the last (or first) file you want to select then shift-click. Seems to me that changing the method of use and not dragging the mouse cursor will solve the problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Dragging & Dropping can be a pain in Dolphin sometimes. It's really touchy, and if you aren't centered exactly on the folder you want to drop on the scrollable window often scrolls rapidly past where you want to drop. I mostly use Copy & Paste or Cut & Paste in the right mouse context menu.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Dragging & Dropping can be a pain in Dolphin sometimes. It's really touchy, and if you aren't centered exactly on the folder you want to drop on the scrollable window often scrolls rapidly past where you want to drop. I mostly use Copy & Paste or Cut & Paste in the right mouse context menu.
              I don't recall having this problem, not often at least. IME, Dolphin is MUCH better than Windows Explorer in this regard. I can't tell you how many times I've released a file only to see another folder or subfolder open up under my mouse cursor when I'm on my work laptop (Windows 7). Drives me to foul language every time.

Please Read Me

Comment

From what I am able to gather, neither Dolphin or Plasma exposes the QScroller::velocity constant to allow user adjustment.
                Perhaps Rog131 has a neat workaround?
                If someone really wants to do that, it's quite easy, sort of, if one knows what the stock function looks like. Write it to a file, modify as desired, compile it to a .so, and preload it with the LD_PRELOAD environment variable.

I find the standard plasma blink far too slow, and use such a method to speed it up, until someone gets around to making it settable as it is in Gnome or was in Qt4.

Regards, John Little
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                X