This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17.10 total break from 17.04

I'm an old duffer, a long-term Linuxer (since Mandrake!), and I've enjoyed watching it grow and learning. I'm now forgetting, so I'm looking for easier ways. Installing 17.10 on my desktop 'tower', I decided to install to sdb. sda was the original Windows 7 upgraded to 10, with Kubuntu alongside. I don't recall any problems there, or through upgrades from 9.04 Jaunty to 17.04 Zesty.
    Installing 17.10 to sdb had me stumped - grub would not install! The Install process, as it had before, would not continue unless I accepted UEFI mode, and having done so all went fine until reboot - no go! Fortunately 17.04 was still intact and working - I'm using that to write this. I even tried de-powering sda, but still no go! Web search turned up a picture of someone else's multi-boot, and careful perusal revealed it had a Windows boot partition - some 260MB- selected as grub install point. A Howto somewhere had hinted this was a necessity, and my KDE Partition Manager showed I didn't have one, so I created one!

Helpful option there in the File systems menu! SUCCESS! Grub even detected 17.04 on sda. It did NOT, however, detect Wndows' boot system (still brainlessly defined as Vista!) there
    Now let's see about transferring data - uh-oh...
    Have to list the applications I want/need and install them - no problem - except my data.
    Firebird is there by default - good. OK, now how do I import all my settings, bookmarks, 'newtab' page, cookies etc? i.e. how do I get Firebird's Import to access that stuff on my sda partition?
    Thunderbird installed fine - Kontact has no Import anyway - but is similarly hobbled.
    poptrayminus has always been difficult. There's a .deb, but it turns up its toes for lack of requirements. How about a Snap for that? I'd dearly like also for that to be a 'way-point' to go through to Thunderbird.
    aMule is no problem - I can copy its data as I'm already accustomed.
    I've got Windows stuff running on Wine - there are a few apps there with no Linux equivalent or better - that's going to be a nest of thorns ...
    Create a folder /home/Desktop and that already has anything you've plonked on the desktop so far - How do I do the reciprocal, showing that folder on the desktop, without creating a a 'hall of mirrors' infinite recursion?
    Muon's useless Discover is still a Favorite Muon's Package Manager is a more sensible one - or is that 'above the pay grade' to most users?

Besides, "Discover" is used for the Updater - confusing!

It's taken me about as long to write this as it did to do the install ... I anticipate more intricacies that could go a lot smoother.

FBt

For Firefox (Firebird?) I would simply use the sync facility of the browser.

It's really the most painless way to sync everything from one copy of the browser to another (either on the same PC or different PC's). I find it's great that I can spend hours/days on one OS or PC and then fire up the other PC and within seconds my browser history, bookmarks, add-ons and cookies, etc are synced without me having to do anything at all (once it's set up of course).

I agree with you regarding Muon's Package Manager. It's by far the most straightforward package manager I've ever used. I've just been looking around Mint 18.2 KDE and I found the Synaptic Package Manager just sucked on that. Besides the way it works (which I don't like) I had problems with the scrollbars that kept hiding and popping up annoyingly causing odd graphical glitches too (damn GTK issues). I quickly installed Muon.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks Rod J - I'd overlooked sync as being for mobiles, and I don't/can't use a 'mobile'. Now I wonder if it (or similar) can work for/on Thunderbird ...
      There are several 'shell' GUIs around apt, synaptic is one, aptitude is another. I see with 17.10 that muon (Package Manager at least) is there by default, but just not a 'favorite'. Right-click it and you'll see "add to favorites", then right-click the Discover favorite and delete it. Simple, and should be default.
      Cheers
      FBt

Comment

Well, with Thunderbird I've never had a problem moving from one PC or OS version to another because I use Gmail with IMAP (not POP). If you have your email set up for IMAP you just need to input your account information on the new PC/OS and it syncs your email automatically. There are options in Thunderbird to only sync recent mail and it can just download the mail headers rather than the whole emails if you like, otherwise it can take quite a while to completely download everything. With IMAP the mail stays on the server (unless you delete it).

How do you access your email in Thunderbird? IMAP or POP? I'd recommend IMAP if it is available.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

The following links might be helpful to you:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Gmai..._Mozilla_Suite

Comment

Another gothcha in 17.10: QtWebKit. Qt5's version is incompatible with earlier. I'm trying to rebuild apps - one of them is a Youtube downloader, ClipGrab. Its binary package doesn't work (is that the webkit being required runtime?) so I'm trying to build from source. I've done that before in Kubuntu - *and* the latest (Stretch) Raspbian on my Pi3, but continuall get a bomb-out needing QtWebKit. Qt5's version is well and truly there:
            sudo locate QtWebKit
            [sudo] password for dexy:
            /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyQt5/QtWebKit.x86_64-linux-gnu.so
            /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyQt5/QtWebKit.x86_64-linux-gnu_d.so
            /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyQt5/QtWebKitWidgets.x86_64-linux-gnu.so
            /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyQt5/QtWebKitWidgets.x86_64-linux-gnu_d.so
            /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PySide/QtWebKit.so
            /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt5/QtWebKit.cpython-36dm-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
            /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt5/QtWebKit.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
            /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt5/QtWebKit.pyi
            /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt5/QtWebKitWidgets.cpython-36dm-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
            /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt5/QtWebKitWidgets.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
            /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt5/QtWebKitWidgets.pyi
            /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PySide/QtWebKit.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtWebKit.so.4
            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtWebKit.so.4.10
            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtWebKit.so.4.10.2
            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtWebKit
            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtWebKit/experimental
            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtWebKit/libqmlwebkitplugin.so
            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtWebKit/plugins.qmltypes
            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtWebKit/qmldir
            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtWebKit/experimental/libqmlwebkitexperimentalplugin.so
            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtWebKit/experimental/qmldir

... but it's a nightmare trying to find a working version. Qt (any version) is a total MESS! there's a different library for seemingly any program that needs it.

Comment

Working...
            X