This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

libsane - libsane1 problem for scanners

Many scanners need the libsane library to be able to install sane, xsane and proprietary drivers.

But libsane has been changed to libsane1 thus preventing installation of the Epson iscan drivers.

Others have similar problems:

https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/packag.../sane-backends

[QUOTEChangelog

sane-backends (1.0.27-1~experimental2ubuntu2) artful; urgency=medium
    * Add "Provides: libsane" to libsane1 (LP: #1707352)
    -- Jeremy Bicha <email address hidden> Tue, 17 Oct 2017 18:18:18 -0400
    1707352 the change from libsane to libsane1 broke many (all?) 3rd party plug-ins for sane
    ][/QUOTE]

The problem does not exist on neon.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      The problem does not exist on neon.
      Because Neon isn't based on Ubuntu 17.10.

Comment

Originally posted by teunis View Post

sane-backends (1.0.27-1~experimental2ubuntu2) artful; urgency=medium
        * add "provides: Libsane" to libsane1 (lp: #1707352)
        -- jeremy bicha <email address hidden> tue, 17 oct 2017 18:18:18 -0400
        1707352 the change from libsane to libsane1 broke many (all?) 3rd party plug-ins for sane
        If it's a problem with the 3rd party packages depending on "libsane" (and not "libsane1"), this version should actually fix the issue:
        "* add "provides: Libsane" to libsane1 (lp: #1707352)" means that a "provides: libsane" tag has been added to libsane1 metadata which should satisfy dependency resolution for all packages still depending on "libsane".

Have you tried installing the version in question (1.0.27-1~experimental2ubuntu2)?

EDIT: Looks like the keywords are "should fix". Looking at the actual bug report, there are a few comments that the fix isn't working...at least for some.
        Last edited by kubicle; Oct 27, 2017, 12:45 AM.

Comment

This still has not been fixed. Have tried to install an Epson V600 Photo scanner every which way I could find on the Internet and system cannot find it with Skanlite or Iscan.
          Error "Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status."
          The hardware can see the scanner on a USB port but the software cannot.

If anyone can shed light on a workaround that works, I would be much obliged.
          Volunteer OS Installer and Supporter for New Linux Users.
          So much to learn.... So little time!

Comment

In your searching, did you find this?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/3093...-photo-scanner
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I did but thank you for the reply Snowhog.

As noted, I work with people who are new to Linux so I get to try quite a few systems. This particular Epson scanner was previously working using Epson drivers on the hardware running Linux Mint KDE 18 but when I did a clean install of Kubuntu 17.10, the scanner was not recognised after re-installing the same Epson drivers. In fact on an earlier system I had made a PDF "How-to" for the user and followed it word for word, installing the drivers in the correct sequence, but no joy.

There have been quite a few complaints on the 'net about scanner connections to Kubuntu 17.10 and I have tried out all the suggestions I found.

Guess I will have to either convince the user to be patient and hope that Version 18.04 works or re-install Mint KDE 18. I hate it when that happens.

Comment

A few weeks after my OP I've fixed the problem by copying the content of /usr/lib64/sane/ to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane

But I also see a recent post that there is a fix for LibSane:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1707352

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                  A few weeks after my OP I've fixed the problem by copying the content of /usr/lib64/sane/ to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane

But I also see a recent post that there is a fix for LibSane:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1707352
                  Thanks for sending the link. Some time ago I did try some of the suggestions but nothing worked. I see that more experiments have been tried and there may be a solution.
                  When I get an hour, I will first try your suggestion and if it does not work I will follow the link to see if it fixes the problem.
                  Cheers
                  Mac

Comment

Thanks for encouraging me to keep trying. I have the scanner working
                    I found a solution here:
                    https://askubuntu.com/questions/9461...600-perfection
                    and have reproduced the steps in simple form that did the job for me:
                    1. Enable "Pre-release updates(artful-proposed)
                    2. Update sources
                    3. Install: libsane1 (e.g. 1.0.27-1~experimental2ubuntu2.1) It will be in the repositories
                    4. Copy libsane-epkowa files to x86-64 libs:
                    $ sudo cp /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/
                    5. Install driver bundle from http://support.epson.net/linux/en/is...?version=1.0.4
                    Mine was: iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb.tar.gz (.deb 64 bit but any scanner that uses iscan)
                    6. Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-epson.rules:
                    $ sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-epson.rules
                    7. Add the following:
                    $ chmod device EPSON group
                    ATTRS{manufacturer}=="EPSON", DRIVERS=="usb", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="*", MODE="0777"

Reboot

Command “ lsusb ” shows scanner is attached to computer then using the following command:
                    -desktop:~$ lsusb |grep -i epson
                    My System showed:��
                    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04b8:013a Seiko Epson Corp. GT-X820 [Perfection V600 Photo]

Starting Skanlite or Imagescan brought up the scanner interface.
                    Last edited by MDuff; Feb 13, 2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

I should have similar right after getting mine fixed but alas, work kept me busy.

Comment

Hi.
                        I've been using an Epson Perfection V330 for some six or seven years with no problem until a couple of weeks ago when, for reasons I can't imagine, it stopped working; I tried to uninstall and re-install the driver to no avail. Now, following this thread, I made it work by copying the three libsane-epkowa files to the specified folder. Thanks so much!
                        Now, my question is: what are those files and why were they in a folder when they belonged into a different one? I just want to understand in case I find myself in the same situation again.
                        Again, thanks!

Comment

These files are essential to access a scanner.
                          iScan is the proprietary driver for Epson scanners and it has to hook up to these libsane libraries to access the scanner.

For whatever reason the libraries have been moved to a for iScan unknown place, the change was introduced by upstream, i.e. Debian.

Comment

Working...
                          X