This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can no longer mount NFS share

I've just upgraded two machines from 17.04 to 17.10 and can no longer access my LG-NAS network drive, which worked with no problems under 17.04.
    The fstab entry for mounting the drive is the following which hasn't changed:

192.168.1.64:/export/Share /mnt/share nfs nosuid,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 0 0

however, this doesn't mount the share at boot. in a terminal, the following command gives an error:

steven@HP-Notebook:~$ sudo mount 192.168.1.64:/export/Share /mnt/share
    [sudo] password for steven:
    mount.nfs: mount system call failed
    steven@HP-Notebook:~$

I can ping the LG-NAS network drive OK from both clients and using Samba to access the shared directory works OK (both in kubuntu and Windows 10)

Any pointers as to why the it won't mount using NFS? I should add that nfs-common is installed,

Regards,

Steve

dose the mount point /mnt/share exist ,,,,?

Code:
    ls /mnt
    if not you must create it
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/share
    VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Vinny,
      Yes, was one of the first things I checked and it exists:

steven@HP-Notebook:~$ ls /mnt
      steven@HP-Notebook:~$

Steve

Comment

the last time I used NFS ,,,its been quite a wile now ,,,,I had to set up export and import files ,,,,I assume you have done that as well ?

check google for a "current" NFS setup guide and make sure you have all the prerequisites correct.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Reading some of the most recent 'how-to' guides, I found this one https://askubuntu.com/questions/7624...n-ubuntu-16-04, so I'll have another read of this and have a look at my set up this evening.
          What puzzles me is that the 17.04 set up worked OK on both client machines, as soon as I upgraded them both to 17.10 the both stopped working with the same error!

Steve

Comment

May be relevant?

debian bugs - nfs-common: can't mount nfs3 after updating to nfs-common 1:1.3.4-2.1

The Artful nfs-utils package that nfs-common is from is 1:1.3.4-2.1ubuntu2, so based on that debian version.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Hi, just checking that you've got the correct permissions and ownership of your mount point share? Also by any chance has the IP address of your NAS changed, can you ping it or ssh into it from your 17.10 machines?

For what it's worth I am able to mount NFS shares on 17.10, though I have another issue, but that's for another thread...

Nick
              Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Hi Nick, the IP address of the NAS hasn't changed, I can ping it from both 17.10 clients and I can access the shared directory on the NAS using samba from both 17.10 clients, so I'm pretty sure this a NFS issue on the client machines, I can still access the NAS using NFS from an old laptop running Mageia 5, so I'm confident that the LG-NAS is OK, the mount points on the clients are /mnt/share as they were on 17.04
                I'll have a look at the acheron posted to see if that sheds any light on the issue

Steve

Comment

Is your nas on nfs ver3 or 4?

Could make a difference for the mount options.

Please Read Me

Comment

Given it's age, I would say it's be v.3

Steve

Comment

Try:

sudo mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3 192.168.1.64:/export/Share /mnt/share

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks oshunluvr,
                        sudo mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3 192.168.1.64:/export/Share /mnt/Share
                        mounts the NFS share, so it would seem that forcing v.3 does the job, I just need to amend the entry in the fstab file to force the version

Steve

Comment

There you go...

Please Read Me

Comment

Did it work?

Originally posted by steven58 View Post
                            Thanks oshunluvr,
                            sudo mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3 192.168.1.64:/export/Share /mnt/Share
                            mounts the NFS share, so it would seem that forcing v.3 does the job, I just need to amend the entry in the fstab file to force the version

Steve
                            Hi Steve,
                            Having just upgraded to 17.10 I find I have the same problem, i.e. my NFS shares do not auto mount at boot time. Can you confirm that adding nfsvers=3 to your fstab entries worked and, in what format did you add it i.e. where in the line. For example here are entries from my fstab file:

192.168.1.4:/mnt/Bronstore/Media /home/james/Bronserv/Media nfs defaults 0 0
                            192.168.1.4:/mnt/Bronstore/Backups /home/james/Bronserv/Backups nfs defaults 0 0
                            #192.168.1.4:/mnt/Bronstore/Documents /home/james/Bronserv/Documents nfs defaults 0 0
                            192.168.1.3:Multimedia /home/james/Nappy/Media nfs defaults 0 0
                            192.168.1.3:Backups /home/james/Nappy/Backups nfs defaults 0 0
                            #192.168.1.3:Go-Flex-4Tb /home/james/Nappy/Go-Flex-4Tb nfs defaults 0 0
                            192.168.1.3ocuments /home/james/Documents nfs defaults 0 0
                            192.168.1.3:Web /home/james/Nappy/Web nfs defaults 0 0

Where 192.168.1.3 is my NAS and 1.4 is my Ubuntu based server. None of these auto mount but will mount perfectly happily with a sudo mount -a

I'm having difficulty understanding how forcing one version of NFS over another can solve what is fundamentally a start up problem? However, if ot worked for you then I'm all ears I tried slotting nfsvers=3 in all sorts of places in the entries above but dimply got a parse error each time or an unknown filesystem error.
                            At present I am using the mount command each toime which is fine apart from the time taken to boot every morning while the system waits for the NFS servers?

Help appreciated...from anyone really

Jmaes

Comment

Hi James, here is my fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                              #
                              # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
                              # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
                              # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
                              #
                              # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                              # / was on /dev/sda6 during installation
                              UUID=fe0cf2c6-4d13-48c7-893e-a5c267fc2648 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
                              # /boot/efi was on /dev/sda2 during installation
                              UUID=98BA-D9C9 /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
                              # /home was on /dev/sda8 during installation
                              UUID=b33c8487-24af-4d9e-9628-02ad1f3f6190 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
                              # swap was on /dev/sda7 during installation
                              UUID=73dbd7db-6948-4a40-8c80-cc492af647e7 none swap sw 0 0
                              192.168.1.64:/export/Share /mnt/share nfs nfsvers=3 rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nosuid,soft 0 0

The last line is the NFS entry, you can see that it forces the version 3 and the NFS is mounted at boot time

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X