X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Manager bug?

Hi all,

just installed 17.10. So far, not completely to my satisfaction. Seems to be a rather big bug in network manager: it doesn't seem to save any changes. The apply button is greyed out and stays that way whatever I change. Pressing OK doesn't save anything either (oh how I long for the days of manual config :-( ). Seems like something you'd want to test before releasing.
    Anyone else have this problem? I have a setup with 2 wired connections (one for my internet connection, the other for an internal net).

Oh, and anyone know a description for manual config? Probably something in /etc/NetworkManager?

KR
    Stefan

Ah, thank god. It's easy to disable NetworkManager: https://www.linuxhint.com/change-fro...ddress-ubuntu/

Comment

Originally posted by Bhawks_2 View Post
      Hi all,

just installed 17.10. So far, not completely to my satisfaction. Seems to be a rather big bug in network manager: it doesn't seem to save any changes. The apply button is greyed out and stays that way whatever I change. Pressing OK doesn't save anything either (oh how I long for the days of manual config :-( ). Seems like something you'd want to test before releasing.
      Anyone else have this problem? I have a setup with 2 wired connections (one for my internet connection, the other for an internal net).

Oh, and anyone know a description for manual config? Probably something in /etc/NetworkManager?

KR
      Stefan
      I'm seeing the same issue. I gave up, this is basic functionality and should not happen in a release. If you need to set a static address for an interface, it is unusable.

Marc

Comment

I agree network problems should not happen on a new release.

But there are so many versions of hardware, what is your network/ wifi card?

One option to avoid problems with the 'nm' network manager is to install wicd, it is known to work where the original does not.F

Something I used in the past to make a network connection from the command line:

$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
        # this gives a list of available ESSID's yours could be "myconnection"

$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "myconnection"
        # This will connect to "myconnection"

$ sudo dhclient wlan0
        # this enables DNS.

# In the case of WPA:
        $ wpa_passphrase YOURESSID YOURWIFIPASSWORD

Now you have a connection.

Comment

I also get the same troubles, as a workaround I used nmtui to config the network manager.
          Since the network manager and nmtui are working it seems to me that the trouble may be in the System Settings/ Network Connection Editor (GUI).

Comment

I'm seeing the same bug in the NetworkManager GUI -- can't set up a static IP. This is a fresh install of 17.10 (with an old /home).

nmtui worked for me, too (although the first time it made a new profile even though i edited the old one; deleted the new one, edited the old one again, rebooted, all was well).

My card (from lspci):

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 04)

On a gigabyte ga-z87x-ud3h mobo.

Comment

Strange, Intel is generally quite Linux compatible, this is what's inside my laptop:
              Code:
              00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 04)

Comment

Working...
              X