This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Kubuntu

(first post, hope this is the best place for this)

Really I am fairly new to linux. I come from the mac world, bought my first mac plus in 1985.

My first intro into linux was Ubuntu 14.10 at the end of it’s life, when I picked up an cheap oldish ASUS lap top with a broken screen and windows something on it.

Unity was a fine, but I became tempted by other flavors. For the last year I have been very happy with xubuntu. With 17.10 on the horizon I shopping around, and so I came to Kubuntu.

I did a fresh install as soon as 17.10 was available. I Like it a lot! Very pleased so far with the Plasma desktop. I installed my required apps and all are working as expected on issues. I have spent the last day just playing and getting to know the ins and outs.

Kubuntu is running nearly as fast as Xubuntu did and any hit in speed is worth the beautiful Plasma experience. I see it as a very good blend of the traditional desktop experience with modern touches that do not get in the way.

I think this is a keeper.

Thank you everyone

Very pleasing to hear, and I'm glad you are appreciating the parts of KDE and Kubuntu that make us keep coming back.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Good to hear this from a relatively new user.
      I've used KDE about since it came out, that's before Gnome was set up.

Through the years there have been hiccups but as soon as I try a different desktop I realise KDE is the most complete.
      In the beginning I ran Red Hat but very soon I realised the Debian/Ubuntu package management system was better and I will stay with Kubuntu although Neon is a nice alternative.

Some people complain KDE looks too much like Windows, in the early years (Win95-98)  Microsoft spend a lot of effort testing their desktop layout so I see no problem with it.

Comment

Thank you for the replies

It is day four of Kubuntu 17.10 and the more I use it the more I like it. I have had to dig for settings to configure things to my liking but that is to be expected.
        I like the ability to change themes and behaviors. In short order I have things looking just the way I like it, until I see something else to try.

One last point I did try gnome desktop first. I get the idea of it (a re-imagining of a desktop) but I did not like it at all. Different and new for the sake of different and new at the expense of what works well, does not work for me at all.

Maybe one more last point. I come from 30+ years on the mac as a graphic/photographic designer.
        I defanetly do not want my desktop looking like widows (yuk!). Neither do I want it to look like a mac.
        The Plasma 5.11 desktop (yes I already backported to 5.11) offers something just enough different to feel like I have a new upgraded computer but not so different that I can not get things done.

I really liked xubuntu and xfce but it felt a bit dated. Kubuntu/Plasma has allowed me to setup a similar desktop theme yet it feels totally polished and modern.

“Note: This is not a paid advertisment”

Comment

These kudos are so great to hear! It is a lot of work to push a release out the door and into the world, and it's very gratifying to hear people say they like it. Of course we can't take all the credit -- we work in an ecosystem where everyone from the kernel developers to those who write and test graphics drivers help present what you see and use. What still blows me away is that this is FREE -- not just free of cost, but free for the taking, fixing, changing, and redistribution. We truly do stand on the shoulders of giants.

We do like bug reports too! and help to fix and test bug fixes, help providing artwork, graphics, stories, blogposts, tweets, toots, answering questions and posting on social media, IRC, the lists and here on the forums. Thanks so much to all who contribute in those ways.

18.04 will be and LTS - long-term support. We hope even more of you will contribute to make this the best Kubuntu LTS ever.

Thanks again for all your kudos and your help along the way.

All the best,

Valorie

Comment

Working...
          X