This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A problem with nVidia-384.90

My Thinkpad W520 can only use the external screen (both RGB and Displayport) when running on nVidia.
    Away on holidays I switched nVidia Prime to Intel.

Returned home I switched back to nVidia and after the log out/in I was met with a black screen.
    Via the CLI on one of the terminals I switched Prime back to Intel.
    Code:
    sudo prime-select intel
    And was able to get a normal screen.
    Next I switched from nVidia-384.9 to 382.22 and returned to nVidia for the external screen.
    All was well again.

Thanks for the heads-up!
    I'm still with nvidia-378 and have all my nvidia stuff locked. (It it isn't broke I'm not going to fix it! )
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

do your updates ,,,their was aproblem with that nvidia driver a short wile ago ,,,,and some part of plasma or KDE ,,,,it is fixed now .

but you must be up to date
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/bl...-with-qtquick/

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

the nvidia driver has been broken for a long time and still is. You can't get reliable audio via the display port connection. I had to go back as far a 340 to get any audio, but that one caused heat issues for my card so I'm back up to 384 with no audio. The developers know about it but haven't fixed it. I'm pretty sure this is my last nvidia card.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          the nvidia driver has been broken for a long time and still is. You can't get reliable audio via the display port connection. I had to go back as far a 340 to get any audio, but that one caused heat issues for my card so I'm back up to 384 with no audio. The developers know about it but haven't fixed it. I'm pretty sure this is my last nvidia card.
          you talking about a thunderbolt display port ,,,,,,,I have one of those @hear ,,,,but have never used it as I have nothing to plug into it .

the HDMI however works always...so far and I use it prodigiously

Code:
          vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ inxi -Gxxx
          Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 860M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:119a
                    Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
                    GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 860M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.90 Direct Rendering: Yes
          Code:
          vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ inxi -Axxx
          Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
                    driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:8c20
                    Card-2 NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0e0a
                    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.11.0-14-generic
          VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Two days later I tried one more time with 384.90 but no luck.

Today I noticed 387.12 was available, installed it and it works.

Otherwise I don't often have problems with the nVidia drivers, it is a long time ago there were audio issues via the build in display port to HDMI on TV's.
            My external monitor is of a higher definition than HDMI can handle (Dell UH2515H 2560 x 1440) and it just works.
            This monitor has a sound bar with it's own USB connection, just Plug&Play.

For the record, the original problem did not show up on the Neon install but that has a different issue, artefacts in the shape of 64x64 px boxes around the mouse cursor, a bit similar to what woodsmoke reported in a different thread.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and lock the nvidia-478 driver and the six other related apps that should have been installed with it. That will prevent them from being "updated".

My Acer V3-770G laptop has an NVidia GT650M secondary GPU that cannot be set as the primary in the BIOS, but the nvidia driver makes it the primary at boot up. I get up to 500 fps with Minecraft.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X