This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dreaded Filter failed printer error MFC J6710DW

I recently restored a backup from my previous laptop to a newer laptop. Even though I could see my Brother MFC-J6710DW in System settings->Printers, I could not print.

I then reinstalled the driver from Brother's website. This didn't work either, so I deleted the printer from CUPS and disabled the automatic remote printer installation:

Code:
    sudo systemctl disable cups-browsed
    I then reinstalled the driver from the website. At the end of the installation, I selected [Yes] to print a test page, and it worked.

However, trying to print anything else gives this error:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170921_161614.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	649235

Since it printed the test page remotely, I'm sure that I'm missing something simple...

"Something simple"?

The last update on my Neon User Edition brought down around 480+ packages. The update seemed to go well. I printed a test page to see of the printer made it through the update. It printed the test page nicely. I shut down last night.

Today, after I booted up, I needed to print a contract. I got the same error you did. And, the testpage no longer prints. The initial error was "Filter failed". Laster is said the ppd file was not readable. The lp "user" lost its group tag and couldn't read the ppd. After I fixed that I tried printing again. The document goes to the spooler and sets there with a "Hold up" tag. Even clicking the Resume button in the spooler gui doesn't start the printing because it doesn't know its being held up. Printing a testpage from the printer console works. Printing a test page from CUPS does not work.
    Eventually, the notification system says that the printer has finished printing the documents ... but nothing prints. The spooler entries disappear.

I've purged all the printer and cups apps (that I could without taking out the neon-desktop) and reinstalled. Same problems.

A persistant problem with installing the "plugin" is that after it downloads from the HP website and begins installing it asks for the "root" password. Of course, in Ubuntu based distros, there is no root password. I get around that by temporarily creating one to do the install, then removing it. Didn't help.

My next course of action will be to roll back to my 9/18/17 snapshots and not do any more updates until this problem gets sorted out.

My printer is an HP LaserJet Pro P1606dn duplex printer which has been working flawlessly since I got it in 2012, IIRC. I generally used the HPLIP-GUI and ran hp-setup from there. The big trick was getting the plugin to install.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

eek...

Yes, it worked until the latest updates. I thought it was because I installed the operating system on a new computer, but it sounds like that isn't the case... I don't really want to roll back anything if I don't have to.

I can still print a test page within cups, but I cannot clean the cartridge heads or print any other documents.

What commands could I use to discover more?

Comment

Wish I could help. It's been over 10 years since I installed a Brothers printer for a friend, and I no longer remember how to do it or what the special commands or tricks are.

In the past all I had to do to get my HP LaserJet Pro P1606dn to print was plug it into a USB port. Auto-recognized and self configured eveything except the duplex printing feature. That's why I needed to install the plugin for the ppd driver.

Like I said, at this point rather than waste any more time I am going to roll back to my 9/18/17 snapshot (btrfs) and boot from it. Then I am going to turn off updating until I am sure things are straightened out.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

so I got the scanner to work again using
          gscan2pdf
          I installed the 64 bit scanner driver fromhttp://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...ng=4&type3=566

and followed first the USB instructions, then the network instructions...I'm not sure which actually worked, though...

I did run into a bit of a problem...
          Code:
          donald@sound-X:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all brscan4-0.4.4-4.amd64.deb
          [sudo] password for donald: 
          (Reading database ... 217611 files and directories currently installed.)
          Preparing to unpack brscan4-0.4.4-4.amd64.deb ...
          -e ERROR: libusb-0.1 is required.
          dpkg: error processing archive brscan4-0.4.4-4.amd64.deb (--install):
          subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
          Errors were encountered while processing:
          brscan4-0.4.4-4.amd64.deb
          so I installed it...
          Code:
          donald@sound-X:~$ sudo apt-get install libusb-0.1-4
          Sorry, try again.
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree       
          Reading state information... Done
          The following NEW packages will be installed:
           libusb-0.1-4
          0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          Need to get 17.2 kB of archives.
          After this operation, 57.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
          Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty/main amd64 libusb-0.1-4 amd64 2:0.1.12-30 [17.2 kB]
          Fetched 17.2 kB in 0s (50.7 kB/s)       
          Selecting previously unselected package libusb-0.1-4:amd64.
          (Reading database ... 217611 files and directories currently installed.)
          Preparing to unpack .../libusb-0.1-4_2%3a0.1.12-30_amd64.deb ...
          Unpacking libusb-0.1-4:amd64 (2:0.1.12-30) ...
          Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-9ubuntu2.2) ...
          Setting up libusb-0.1-4:amd64 (2:0.1.12-30) ...
          Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-9ubuntu2.2) ...
          Which showed
          Code:
          donald@sound-X:~$ dpkg -l | grep Brother
          ii  brscan-skey                                     0.2.4-1                                                  amd64        Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
          ii  brscan4                                         0.4.4-4                                                  amd64        Brother Scanner Driver
          ii  mfcj6710dwcupswrapper:i386                      3.0.0-1                                                  i386         Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
          ii  mfcj6710dwlpr:i386                              3.0.0-1                                                  i386         Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
          ii  printer-driver-brlaser              
                     3-5                                                      amd64        printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers
          ii  printer-driver-ptouch                           1.4.2-2                                                  amd64        printer driver Brother P-touch label printers
          After trying the network installation
          Code:
          donald@sound-X:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all brscan4-0.4.4-4.amd64.deb
          (Reading database ... 217617 files and directories currently installed.)
          Preparing to unpack brscan4-0.4.4-4.amd64.deb ...
          Unpacking brscan4 (0.4.4-4) ...
          Setting up brscan4 (0.4.4-4) ...
          This software is based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.
          I still got the same dpkg grep as above...so I don't think it did anything...

I'm wondering if the CUPS wrapper or driver is having a problem because it's i386 and not amd64 ?

Comment

I think I solved the issue...

I checked to see if the printer driver was installed:
            Code:
            donald@sound-X:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
            ii  brscan-skey                                     0.2.4-1                                     amd64        Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
            ii  brscan4                                         0.4.4-4                                     amd64        Brother Scanner Driver
            ii  mfcj6710dwcupswrapper:i386                      3.0.0-1                                     i386         Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
            ii  mfcj6710dwlpr:i386                              3.0.0-1                                     i386         Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
            ii  printer-driver-brlaser                          3-5                                         amd64        printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers
            ii  printer-driver-ptouch                           1.4.2-2                                     amd64        printer driver Brother P-touch label printers
            then I edited
            Code:
            /etc/printcap
            as per Brother's website instructions
            • Confirm/Configure a file according to your connection.
              • Check the configuration filename for your distribution.
                Example:
                openSUSE, Ubuntu, Debian : /etc/printcap
                Redhat, fedora, Mandriva : /etc/printcap.local
              • Edit the file according to your connection.
                For USB Connection (Default)
                Check if the parameter of ":lp" is ":lp=/dev/usb/lp0"
                For Network Connection
                replace ":lp" line to the following 2 lines
                :rm=(ip address of your printer)\
                :rp=lp\
                For Parallel Connection
                replace ":lp" line to the following line
                :lp=/dev/lp0\
              • Restart the print system.
                Command (for lpr): /etc/init.d/lpr restart
                Command (for lprng) : /etc/init.d/lprng restart

• Try a test print.
            so now I have:
            Code:
            donald@sound-X:~$ cat /etc/printcap
            MFCJ6710DW:\
                   :mx=0:\
                   :sd=/var/spool/lpd/mfcj6710dw:\
                   :sh:\
                   :rm=192.168.000.102
                   :if=/opt/brother/Printers/mfcj6710dw/lpd/filtermfcj6710dw:
            and it seems to work!

...although my magenta color doesn't work at all...but that's another story...

Comment

May not be important, but your

:rm=192.168.000.102

line is missing the \ per Brother’s website instructions you cited.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

you're right Snowhog...I just changed it...
                Code:
                donald@sound-X:~$ cat /etc/printcap
                MFCJ6710DW:\
                       :mx=0:\
                       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/mfcj6710dw:\
                       :sh:\
                       :rm=192.168.000.102\
                       :if=/opt/brother/Printers/mfcj6710dw/lpd/filtermfcj6710dw:

Comment

I'm a stickler for details.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Also, do you have your wifi router set to dispense that same IP address based on your MAC address each time you boot up?

Comment

I'm not sure if I've set up my router to give a static address or not...

Comment

Working...
                      X