X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Loggin with dual monitor

Bonjour,

Since the installation of Zesty 17.04, KDE systematically opens the session in dual screen mode. The active screen is that of the portable (eDP1) and the second screen is the video monitor (DP1).

The problem is that I do not have a laptop! Just a video monitor.

It's really annoying. Every time I open a session, I have to practice a ritual.
    - Use a launcher (plasma remembers!) To open the control panel.
    - Go to the screen manager.
    - Disable eDP1. Activate DP1 and make it the main screen.
    - The screen turns black! I have to do "Ctrl-F8" followed by "Ctlr-F7" to "turn on" the monitor. In fact, I do as if I had another session open for when I come back on my active session, forcing Plasma to this update (well, that's my theory).

And there, Plasma does not remember anything ... At the next reopening of session, all is to begin again.

Do you have a solution?

Thank you.

Pierre

I Would ,,,,,

1) go to system settings>Start up and shutdown>Desktop session> and check start with an empty session

2) go to /home/<you>/.local/share/ and rename the kscreen directory to kscreen.old

reboot ,,,,,see what happens ,,,,,,even if you get locked out of the GUI (you should not ,,a new kscreen will get auto created ) you can easily put the kscreen.old back from a TTY after loing in as you
    with,,,,,,, " mv ~/.local/share/kscreen.old ~/.local/share/kscreen " no need for sudo on any of this ,,,it's all owned by you.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I tried and nothing changed. In my first post, I forgot to mention that from the login screen (sdm I believe), the mouse cursor can go outside the monitor. (to his left).

Comment

AAaa I think I miss understood .

so ,,you do have 2 screens/monitors that are always connected ? yes/no

in what manner are they connected ,,,VGA cabel , HDMI and witch cable to witch one ?

this is a desktop PC yes/no

what graphics card do you run on and what driver is in use ?

from your last post
        I forgot to mention that from the login screen (sdm I believe), the mouse cursor can go outside the monitor
        it's "sddm" ,,,and this would usually be the behavior IF both monitors were active ,,,,as can happen(but dose not necessarily half to) if both are connected at boot. ,,,do you see the cursor on the second monitor when it goes outside the first ...and of course it could be just outside the edge of the screen if the resolution is off a tad.

lets start with the clarification that answering these questions will provide and go from their ,,,,,,

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

OK. I have only one monitor. My workstation is an ASUS K31CD PC tower. The information on the graphics card is as follows:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 5912 (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
          Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1830
          Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 320
          Memory at de000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
          Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
          I/O ports at f000 [size=64]
          [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
          Capabilities: <access denied>
          Kernel driver in use: i915
          Kernel modules: i915

Comment

Often, disabling kscreen is the answer: System Settings > Background services > KScreen 2

Untick the "Use" box and click "Apply", also click the "Stop" button. Then, save your screen settings and log out. Next time it should be OK.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Often, disabling kscreen is the answer: System Settings > Background services > KScreen 2

Untick the "Use" box and click "Apply", also click the "Stop" button. Then, save your screen settings and log out. Next time it should be OK.
              system settings>startup and shutdown>background services>Kscreen 2
              16GB RAM

Comment

OK. The problem is solved. You were right with the KScreen2 setting. The kSCreen2 service was disabled. I activated the service and restart the PC. Everything is back in order.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

No problem. I had a related issue and that was my solution also. I think KScreen is useful if you have a laptop with potential screen changes (docked vs. undocked, etc.) but with desktops it's just not needed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X