This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't boot into Kubuntu properly after upgrade

I've upgraded my Kubuntu install from 16.04 to 17.04. When I try to boot it stays at a black screen with a blinking _

If I try to boot from recovery mode, I can decrypt the LVM but the computer only responds to the key combination alt + PrtSc + b.
    Any ideas what commands to try to get a better idea of what the problem is? Or possibly a solution?

https://www.google.com/search?source...k1.b2xbbPZe0Yg

check out the many posts in the above search ,,,,,,,,,,,this is one reason I have never done one .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

That's the main reason why I never upgrade from one release to another and always backup my data, do a FRESH install, and restore my data. Doing that is always a LOT easier and faster than trying to debug a faulty upgrade.

IF you have your data backed up I suggest doing a fresh install of 17.14 and restoring your data. If you don't have a backup of your data, and from your post it looks like your encryption is broken as well, you may be out of luck.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        That's the main reason why I never upgrade from one release to another and always backup my data, do a FRESH install, and restore my data. Doing that is always a LOT easier and faster than trying to debug a faulty upgrade.
        +1 AND if you do the new install along side (dual boot) with the previous version, your previous install acts as a backup install in case (when) you break the new one.

Please Read Me

Comment

Guys. The OP is asking for help with his problem, not commentary on why "we" don't do what he did.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Guys. The OP is asking for help with his problem, not commentary on why "we" don't do what he did.
            Since he was doing an upgrade my comment was a recommendation that could/would save him tons of time and minimize aggravation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Luckily for me my important data is on another drive. When you say backup, can you be a bit more specific?

Comment

Originally posted by PepperInsure View Post
                Luckily for me my important data is on another drive. When you say backup, can you be a bit more specific?
                Well, since your important data is "on another drive" what ever you did to get it there is "backing up" for you.

For me, backing up is opening a Konsole and issuing
                Code:
                1)   [console]sudo -i[/console]
                2)   [console]mount /dev/sdb1 /backup/[/console] (A third HD on my system, formatted with Btrfs)
                3)   [console]mount /dev/sda1 /mnt[/console] (a two HD Btrfs pool on which my Neon User Edition runs)

The actually backing up, saving dated read only snapshots of @ and @home:
                4)   [console]btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@ /mnt/snapshots/@_bkupYYYYMMDD[/console]
                5)    [console]btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@home /mnt/snapshots/@home_bkupYYYYMMDD[/console]

Total time for steps 1 through 5: about 2 or three minutes.  I use bash history and up arrow to the appropriate command.
                 Snapshots are fast.  They actually take only about 2 or 3 seconds.

And, after a massive update, or an important change I've made, the following three steps:
                6)    [console]btrfs send /mnt/snapshots/@_bkup20170628 | btrfs receive /backup/[/console]
                7)   [console]btrfs send /mnt/snapshots/@home_bkup20170628 | btrfs receive /backup/[/console]
                8)    [console]sync[/console]

And cleaning up:
                9)   [console]umount /backup[/console]
                10)  [console]umount /mnt[/console]
                11) [console]exit & exit[/console]

Occasionally I delete older snapshots to make room for new ones:
                    [console]btrfs subvolume delete -c /mnt/snapshots/@_bkupYYYYMMDD[/console]
                    [console]btrfs subvolume delete -c /mnt/snapshots/@home_bkupYYYYMMDD[/console]

or 
                    [console]btrfs subvolume delete -c /backup/@_bkupYYYYMMDD[/console]
                    [console]btrfs subvolume delete -c /backup/@home_bkupYYYYMMDD[/console]
                Steps 1 though 5 are the ones I used most of the time. Just one time, after I did some extensive experimenting with the Mycroft AI software I decided to roll back to the snapshot I made just before I began experimenting with that technologies. The steps in the roll back took about 2 or 3 minutes and then a reboot.
                https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post403412

Note: the following steps where done on my LIVE system. No need to boot into a LiveUSB to perform them. One of the beauties of Btrfs.
                Code:
                1) Open a Konsole and issue
                "sudo -i"

2) Mount sda1 on /mnt
                "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt"

3) Move @ to @_old
                "mv /mnt/@ /mnt/@_old", followed by "sync"

4) Move @home to @home_old
                "mv /mnt/@home /mnt/@home_old" followed by "sync"

5) Copy /mnt/snapshot/@_bkup20170810 to /mnt/@
                "btrfs subvol snapshot /mnt/snapshots/@_bkup20170810 /mnt/@" followed by "sync"

6)Copy /mnt/snapshots/@home_bkup20170810 to /mnt/@home
                "btrfs subvol snapshot /mnt/snapshots/@home_bkup20170810 /mnt/@home"

7) Delete @_old and @home_old
                "btrfs subvol delete -c /mnt/@_old"
                "btrfs subvol delete -c /mnt/@home_old"

8) Exit root and Konsole
                "exit"
                "exit

Reboot.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 13, 2017, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X