This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booting into offline and flight mode?

Is there a way to change settings on Zesty so that it boots offline and in airplane mode?
    Doesn't seem to be an easy option to do this. It would seem to be the sensible default setting but I hav so far been unable to stop my machine from going online immediately at boot.

If anyone has a solution I would be grateful.

what happens if you ,,,,,,,click the network manager icon in the system tray ,,,at the top of the dialog box that pops up check the " airplane" box at the top ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Vinny
      It works fine. Goes into airplane mode.
      But, when i reboot and check, airplane mode is disabled and the computer has already connected to the net. I would rather do that manually.
      In windows you can simply uncheck the box marked "connect automatically" So im looking for an equivalent of that but cant find it.

Apologies for using the 'W' word

Comment

Not the most elegant solution but if you set your wi-fi security to "Ask for this password every time." you can at least avoid the auto connect.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

There should be a way to do this. I don't use NetworkManager or WiFi but here's a useful writeup on the NetworkManager.conf file: https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkM...ager.conf.html

Please Read Me

Comment

Oh, just found this:

[COLOR=rgba(51, 51, 51, 0.7)]NetworkManager.state
            [/COLOR]This file stores persistent user-determined state for Airplane mode for each technology like WiFi, WWAN, and WiMAX. Normally this is controlled by hardware buttons, but some systems don’t have hardware buttons or the drivers don’t work, plus that state is not persistent across boots. So NetworkManager stores a user-defined state for each radio type and will ensure the radio stays in that state across reboots too.

Please Read Me

Comment

Try editing /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                Not the most elegant solution but if you set your wi-fi security to "Ask for this password every time." you can at least avoid the auto connect.
                On both wired and wireless configs in NetworkManager, on the first tab, is a check box to "Automatically connect to this network when it is available". Uncheck that for both wired and wireless and neither will automatically login. One will have to open the NetworkManager GUI and click the Connect button to cause the device to make a connection.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  On both wired and wireless configs in NetworkManager, on the first tab, is a check box to "Automatically connect to this network when it is available". Uncheck that for both wired and wireless and neither will automatically login. One will have to open the NetworkManager GUI and click the Connect button to cause the device to make a connection.
                  D'oh! Missed that obvious step...
                  If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I'll let you borrow MY dunce cap just this one time!
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Apologies for the late reply everyone and thanks GreyGeek for the pointer.
                      I noticed that in the Network manager tab, you are able to change the Mac address to a random one, is this a feasible way to further avoid tracking? If I'm not mistaken Mac addresses are used to track us aren't they? How effective is this feature does anyone know? Ibviously it would need to be used with other security options such ad VPNs and proxies etc. Am I looking at this correctly?

Thanks for the education gentlemen

Comment

Working...
                      X