This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow shutdown.

I seem to have done something, don't know what, which has caused the OS to take a couple of minutes to get round to shutting down. I took the splash off the shut down and it shows a "[FAILED] Failed unmounting /home" and hangs after [OK]Reached Target Shutdown

I've looked at /var/log/kern.log and there is nothing but UFW messages that go back some time before shutdown. I've looked at /var/log/syslog and there are no error messages there.

Any help would be appreciated.

do you have a lot of places mounted ,,,,,that you mounted .

do you have a lot of apps running .

have you been running GUI apps as root with sudo .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Failed unmounting usually means some application is accessing your home. Since it's not unmounting, could be a root level application - just a guess.

Try logging out first and then shutting down. This might tell you more about where/when the delay is occurring.

Please Read Me

Comment

vinnywright,

I only use a couple of extra partitions that are not auto mounted and I mount them occasionally when I need to access files. I have home on a separate partition and hard drive to the system one.

I usually close all the apps down before I log out. I also created a new user and tested it without opening anything, still got the hang on shutdown.

Occasionally I have run kate and dolphin with the sudo command (I didn't know it was a bad thing until I came on here). I've checked and there's no instances of them lurking in the background.

oshunluvr, I tried logging out first. Same thing happened.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Failed unmounting usually means some application is accessing your home. Since it's not unmounting, could be a root level application - just a guess.

Try logging out first and then shutting down. This might tell you more about where/when the delay is occurring.
          Problem solved! You were right. Prompted me to look properly at all my running processes. A while ago, I tried Freenet. Turns out it puts a lot of autostarting stuff in and that was causing the problem. Cheers.

Comment

After you install Freenet and then boot up the next time it automatically starts up. There are two easy ways to shut down Freenet. The first is if you are running it in a browser using http://127.0.0.1:8888/. Near the bottom of the main page is a "shutdown Freenet" button.

IF you are NOT running Freenet in a browser the install process put three menu options in the KDE menu. One of them is to Shutdown Freenet.

Both of those do graceful shutdowns, allowing peers to complete disconnects gracefully without corrupted file transfers, and can take up to ten minutes, although with 400+ peers it has never taken my connection more than 6 minutes. You can also kill the java process ID using KSysGuard, but it may do damage to some peers files.

To cut down the load on your resources you can adjust settings on the Configuration --> Core Settings option on the Freenet startup page

The pic below shows the activity on my system, which is set to give Java 512Mb and 2MiB bandwidth. Java takes 5% of the CPUs.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Freenet_activity.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	643621

Freenet's browser interface isn't as pretty as I2P's but it is just as functional. Although I was initially impressed with I2P and thought I'd be going with it, when I tried to access some of the peer's pages all I got was other copies of the same default "Home" that I2P set up for my installation. IOW, there isn't much content out there.

For content I also decided that I can continue to browse the web with Tor, and even run Freenet from Tor if I want, but Freenet has an Ace in the hole .... the ability to set up a connection between you and a friend(s) in a private network encrypted end-to-end and invisible since it can't be accessed from a URL that doesn't begin with 127.0.0.1/8888.

So, 0.7.x Freenet is my p2p link of choice and my investigations of p2p technologies are over.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 10, 2017, 08:14 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ahh ok. I just checked it out briefly out of curiosity and completely forgot about it. Most likely because you've been posting a lot about p2p stuff lately.

Comment

I have my upload setting at 2 MiB and sometimes it can get intense. Here is the output of EtherApe, showing the intensity of the connections to the peers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170910_205708.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	643622
                The big green ball is my 127.0.0.1:8888 URL and the ring of other URLs are the peers. Some are reading or writing heavily, and some are just connected.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Slow shutdown.

I forgot to add that to minimize CPU activity add ~./Freenet to the list of excluded directories in baloo file indexing rc. It all encrypted and unreadable anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X