X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16-04.3 lts desktop amd installer crashes

Hi,
    I switching Linux distros (openSuse) at home and I'm having trouble with the 16-04-3 LTS desktop amd live cd. I burned the dvd with k3b.

I booted the dvd and tried the "permanent install" option on the system menu. It put an entry on the task bar and then disappeared.

I looked at the properties and it had "ubiquity kde_ui." I opened a kconsole session and tried to run it and I got a "core dumped" message on stdout.

My motherboard is an older Gigabyte and I think it's got an AMD2 socket. It's got an AMD Athlon II X3 435 processor with 2GB of memory.

thanks in advance for any help getting this installed.

That's a pretty old CPU (cira ~ 2010). Did you unlock the BIOS to get a Quad Core Phenom? If so, are you overclocking it?

Did you verify the checksum for the CD? (There is an option on its menu to do that.)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      That's a pretty old CPU (cira ~ 2010). Did you unlock the BIOS to get a Quad Core Phenom? If so, are you overclocking it?
      Did you verify the checksum for the CD? (There is an option on its menu to do that.)
      Yes, it's old but it works fine. It's a black processor and I can, but don't, unlock the 4th core and I don't overclock it. I'm not a power user and this machine is mainly used for email and web browsing.

I ran the verify disk option on the boot menu and it passed.

Comment

The "core dump" msg indicates that the kernel is crashing. Actual reports of Ubuntu (or Linux) and your CPU are not common. I found this one relating to 16.04.

My last thought is that your CPU has aged out of the Linux Window of compatibility, or perhaps the kernel is compatible any more. You could download and test a 14.04 or 12.04 and see if one of those older releases will run.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          The "core dump" msg indicates that the kernel is crashing. Actual reports of Ubuntu (or Linux) and your CPU are not common. I found this one relating to 16.04.

My last thought is that your CPU has aged out of the Linux Window of compatibility, or perhaps the kernel is compatible any more. You could download and test a 14.04 or 12.04 and see if one of those older releases will run.
          I'm running my web browser on openSuse Leap 42.3 64bit, their latest, with kernel 4.4.79-19-default. This kernel works fine and I'd expect a kbuntu release to do the same.

Thank you for spending the time to reply to this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jduffer987 View Post
            I'm running my web browser on openSuse Leap 42.3 64bit, their latest, with kernel 4.4.79-19-default. This kernel works fine and I'd expect a kbuntu release to do the same.

Thank you for spending the time to reply to this thread.
            Just so it doesn't get lost in the chaff, I can boot and run 16.04-3, I just can't install from it.

Comment

My bad. Have you tried installing from a USB stick?

Comment

From what site did you download the .iso?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  From what site did you download the .iso?
                  I downloaded it from this site: https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/

I've also checked the sha256 checksum and it matches.

Comment

2GB of RAM should be ok but could be considered minimal for this ver. the installer may be running out of it .

you could try ,,,,,,partitioning the drive before the install and give yourself a 2-4GB swap partition as well as a 15-50GB root partition (for the system) and whatever is left for /home .

then boot the CD (I would use a USB if your box will boot one) and let it load the live system ,,,,swap will get mounted and used if it's available.

and at the point in the installer where your going to select the drive , chose the "manual" method so you can set the partitions you have already made.

making the bootabel USB is as simple as dd ing the .iso to the stick .

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      2GB of RAM should be ok but could be considered minimal for this ver. the installer may be running out of it .

you could try ,,,,,,partitioning the drive before the install and give yourself a 2-4GB swap partition as well as a 15-50GB root partition (for the system) and whatever is left for /home .

then boot the CD (I would use a USB if your box will boot one) and let it load the live system ,,,,swap will get mounted and used if it's available.

and at the point in the installer where your going to select the drive , chose the "manual" method so you can set the partitions you have already made.

making the bootabel USB is as simple as dd ing the .iso to the stick .

VINNY
                      I have a 4GB swap partition. I have 25GB of space for the root partion. It's not allocated right now, but it's a primary partition.

Comment

I have a 4GB swap partition. I have 25GB of space for the root partion. It's not allocated right now, but it's a primary partition.
                        try using a live usb ,,,,maybe the cd/dvd is not responding fast enough or the like .

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          try using a live usb ,,,,maybe the cd/dvd is not responding fast enough or the like .

VINNY
                          I don't have a 2GB, or larger, thumb drive. I guess it's time to buy one.

Thanks for the efforts!

Comment

I don't have a 2GB, or larger, thumb drive. I guess it's time to buy one.

Thanks for the efforts!
                            Okay, I've got egg on my face. I pulled an SD card from my camera and loaded 16-04.3 LTS on it. I put the SD card in a USB reader and booted from the SD card. The system came up and the installer ran without crashing. I remember installing UNIX from floppies (sometimes 50 of them) and the idea that you can't install from a DVD ROM is just foreign to me.

I now have kubuntu loaded on my system. Thank you GreyGeek and Vinny.

Comment

Working...
                            X