This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn off all notification sounds

With both 17.04 and 16.04 (which I have installed on different machines), I cannot work out how to turn off all notification sounds. There is no longer a button to do this in system settings, as there was in 14.04. I have individually turned off sounds on everything listed under notifications under system settings, and in 17.04 I have put notification volume to 0% under multimedia (can't seem to do that in 16.04). Nonetheless, I still keep getting annoying bells. The two I have noticed in particular:

Kile: when find reaches the bottom of a document and asks if it should continue from the top.
    Facebook, open in Firefox: when a new message arrives. This one is especially odd, since in Facebook settings, sounds are set to off—so Firefox/Kubuntu/KDE or whatever is overriding that setting

Probably there are others.

Any idea how I can get rid of all notification sounds?

System Settings > Notifications >

Select each of the various "Event Source" options and clock on the "Disable sounds for all of these events" button in the lower left. Kind of tedious, but shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. It seems if you place the mouse cursor over the Event source, you can scroll through the event without clicking on the events themselves.

The sound you're hearing is likely the "Plasma Workspace" "Information Message"

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that's what I meant I'd done already when I said I'd turned off sounds for everything listed under notifications—sorry if that wasn't clear. I guess I should probably check again that I haven't missed anything.

If that is the answer, it is, as you say, a tedious and inefficient way to do the job, not least because you might well miss something, and it seems like an odd decision to remove the one-click capacity to turn off all such sounds.

Comment

Not really a solution, but there is a "Notification Sounds" volume that is separate from other applications - that might allow you to mute the sounds without blocking music or whatever. If you open the Volume settings using the Systray speaker icon, you should get an Audio Volume Settings pop up, go to the Applications tab and lower the volume of Notifications to zero.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Not really a solution, but there is a "Notification Sounds" volume that is separate from other applications - that might allow you to mute the sounds without blocking music or whatever. If you open the Volume settings using the Systray speaker icon, you should get an Audio Volume Settings pop up, go to the Applications tab and lower the volume of Notifications to zero.
          Yeah, this is the solution I've settled on—a solution, incidentally, that's only available in 17.04, and not available in 16.04. It does what I want it to do, so I guess this counts as solved, but I still don't see what was wrong with just having a "mute all notifications" button in system settings! Ah, the good old days . . .

Comment

Yeah, not much of a solution but if it works for you, great.

Just to clarify, this probably is available in 16.04 if you enable backports and upgrade to the latest Plasma and Frameworks. I'm using KDEneon which is a 16.04 base with more rapidly updated KDE parts and I have it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X