X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 17.04 Japanese Input

Hello everyone,

I am trying to input Japanese characters (hiragana, katakana, kanji) on Kubuntu 17.04

So far by searching around on the net I have only found guides for Ubuntu 16.04 and Kubuntu 14.04, that are not compatible with Kubuntu 17.04.

I was wondering if someone has an idea as to how I could make this work on Kubuntu 17.04.

Thanks in advance.

Install anthy (https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/packag...ain/base/anthy)
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I installed anthy with
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install anthy
      but I can't figure out what to do next.

After searching around a bit it seems I need either scim or ibus in order to use it.

I am not quite sure what they are exactly however, much less how to configure them etc.

How would you recommend I proceed?

Comment

The following is a tutorial for Linux Mint 17, but as Mint's releases are pretty similar to Kubuntu, it should help.

http://www.localizingjapan.com/blog/...iana-cinnamon/
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Following the guide and digging a bit on the Internet I have managed to type Japanese characters successfully.

For reference to anyone that might have a similar problem, I have done the following:
          1 First I executed these commands from my terminal
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install ibus
          sudo apt-get install ibus-anthy
          2 After that I searched "Input method" on my application launcher and manually set up ibus as my preferred input method.
          Be careful! Changing input method might disable your keyboard if ibus is not running, although you can still type in the terminal!
          3 Lastly I typed "ibus preferences" and added anthy on my input methods. This will prompt you to start ibus as well.

If the above doesn't work for you, try typing "language" on your application launcher and adding 日本語 on your preferred languages, so that the system can download the Japanese language packs. (you should be able to remove it afterwards without any problem, I personally don't have 日本語 on my preferred languages and things still work fine)

That all being well and good there is a big problem.
          ibus does not activate by itself on startup.
          I have to either open the settings and get prompted to allow it to start, or manually start it from terminal.

Also the old language tray is still present at the bottom right of the screen and I would like to possibly remove it.

Any advice on those points?

Thanks!

Comment

You should be able to add ibus in the System Settings, Startup and Shutdown section, probably using the same command you are using when starting it from the terminal.
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Working...
            X