X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwbehne1 View Post
    Code:
    [B]/casper/initrd.lz:[/B] [COLOR=#ff0000]FAILED[/COLOR]
    Just in case you don't know, or hadn't worked it out, that's exactly the file that corresponds to the first error in your screenshot.

Regards, John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I ran that badblocks command, and it didn't take very long. But it also found no errors.

Since I wanted to acid test the drive, and since overwriting it didn't matter (because I could always reformat and try to reinstall again) I decided to force it to do a write test, had it direct errors output to a file, left it running and went to bed. It ran all night I guess. Around 8AM we had a power outage which lasted several hours (again, it's common here,) and now that I'm back home I checked the errors file to see what it found: nothing!

So I went back to formatting the drive, installing a new partition table and file system, then setting the boot flag, and I had written a shell script to dd the ISO file onto it, then cd to that directory and test the checksums for each file, saving the results to a file in my root partition. Lastly the batch file would grep that file for the word "FAIL", and print it on the screen. I must have done over 30 installs to this drive using that shell script.

After running the badblocks acid test last night and finding nothing, I blanked the drive and installed again. It failed, so I tried it a second time, and Viola!, it passed this time! I couldn't believe it, so I manually repeated the checksums test several times to make certain it's working and giving me the correct results. It is: I apparently have a viable boot drive now, so next to try to run it.

Wish me luck!
      Last edited by rwbehne1; Aug 24, 2017, 04:34 AM. Reason: Fixed omission for clarity.
      --
      I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

Comment

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Success, It booted twice! Now on to the next maddening problems!

Thanks to everyone!
          --
          I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

Comment

Working...
          X