Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I solved the links problem, but is the Loop Device normal?
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

no ,,,,,have you installed any snap packages as of late ,,,,,,this looks like crud leftover from the one I just installed ,,,,,I have it to .

yes i just confirmed it's crud left from installing a snap package

this is where following the "loop device" takes you

Code:
      /snap/core/2462$ ls
      bin  boot  dev  etc  home  lib  lib64  media  meta  mnt  opt  proc  root  run  sbin  snap  srv  sys  tmp  usr  var  writable
      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/snap/core/2462$
      VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

and to add to the BS

Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ snap list
        Name  Version     Rev   Developer  Notes
        core  16-2.26.14  2462  canonical  core
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo snap remove core
        [sudo] password for vinny: 
        error: cannot remove "core": snap "core" is not removable
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$
        O it's getting removed alright if I half to surgically do it myself ,,,,,,,,lets go the apt-get route first though

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

OK removing the "snapd" package got rid of the loop device and the hole filesystem tree residing under /snap/core/xxxx

I know that was so you could run a snap package in a fire jailed kinda way and not mess with the actual system ,,,,but to leave it mounted under a loop device after you were done with and even removed the application ,,,is just wrong in my opinion.

I am done with snaps

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

I've read this has been identified as a problem. I didn't really like snaps either but it's still kinda new. Maybe in a year or so they'll work out these kind of issues. I can see a purpose for them, but maybe not yet main stream.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, in case anyone reading this thread cares, RedHat only had one developer working on btrfs so their contribution was very small and really won't be missed.

It looks like Google will be going to try ZFS for Android (because it has built-in encryption and btrfs doesn't yet) but due to licensing issues ZFS will never be in the kernel so it'll never be main stream for Linux.

btrfs is already the default in SUSE Enterprise server installations and Facebook uses btrfs so I doubt it's going anywhere soon. However, the real question is does it benefit you?

Please Read Me

Comment

Ellison, who Owns Oracle, never seems to have enough fighter jets or pacific islands, so I don't expect him to allow any implementation of ZFS not licensed by him to exist for very long if it becomes popular. I installed zfs-fuse (OpenZFS) and played with it. Then deleted it. Zfssnap is like snapper.

Btrfs is awesome and, IMO, EXT4 is long in the tooth and should be retired.

Isn't RH playing with XFS, which has been part of Linux since 2001, but has some serious disadvantages for users of desktop/laptop systems.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

As of the Linux 4.12 kernel: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Status
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

2nd HDD

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    Nice link! I've used Btrfs for 2.75 years and a RAID1 setup for the last few months. Today, I re-balanced it back to a single in order to create more room for my IPFS/ZeroNet experiments. P2P space takes a lot of room and Internet bandwidth.

It looks like the RAID56 patch which was on the kernel email list last month was not accepted by Linus, or it will be in a subsequent release. Doesn't affect me, however.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 05, 2017, 09:34 PM.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

What ad?

Please Read Me

Comment

Perm Banned him. Post is gone.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I posted the user on stopforumspam too

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            OK removing the "snapd" package got rid of the loop device and the hole filesystem tree residing under /snap/core/xxxx

I know that was so you could run a snap package in a fire jailed kinda way and not mess with the actual system ,,,,but to leave it mounted under a loop device after you were done with and even removed the application ,,,is just wrong in my opinion.

I am done with snaps
                            VINNY
                            I'm thinking this might be the future. I ended up re-installing the latest Neon Users Edition and ended up with two "Loop" entries. I didn't knowingly do anything with Snap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blkidLoop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	643615
                            Last edited by SpecialEd; Sep 07, 2017, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              what you want to do is ...if your going to use Dolphin as root (it will nead to be to do this) use kdesudo dolphin in Krunner or a terminal...

first make the folders you want on the 2nd HD after you have it mounted to a place like /mnt/hd1 (can be anywhere and named anything) and have an entry for it in /etc/fstab so it is mounted at boot .

then IF you have anything in those folders on the SSD in /home/you copy it to the corresponding folder on the second HD.

then delete the orginal folders in /home/you on the SSD and drag and drop the ones you made on the HD back to /home/you on the SSD ,,,when you drop them their you will get a popup to copy,move,or link ,,,chose link ,,,,as you do each one right click it , click properties permissions tab and make sure the owner and group is you you not root root ,,,if root change
                              to you ,,,,done

and yes the system will seamlessly use them as if they were the originals ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY

EDIT: if you do not feel comfortable doing all this at first ,,,just get the system installed to the SSD and your other dives installed in the box then get back to US and we will walk you through the rest .
                              I did the above and linked my Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music... folders on my HDD back to my SSD. I also sym-linked a Wallpapers folder on my HDD back to /.local/share/wallpapers. It all works very well, until I reboot. After a reboot my wallpapers are gone and my Documents, etc. showup as files in my Home directory. I have to click on those files or else click on HDD in Dolphin, then the links work. I'm guessing I need to make a mount entry somewhere for my HDD. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ed

Comment

There are nine loop devices in /dev, loop0 through loop7 and loop-controller.

I've seen them used in the past for mounting kernel images and ISO files, for Wubi installations, and with snap using losetup. binding loop0 to /var/lib/snapd/snaps/core_1337.snap, for example.

I view snap as an attempt by Shuttlesworth to create a store and monitize Ubuntu apps. If he can make money doing that more power to him, but snap is no longer on my system. I prefer AppImages.

Comment

Working...
                                X