Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kmail Tbird will NEVER work with Office365 unless....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Kmail Tbird will NEVER work with Office365 unless....

This is my last post on this subject, I just wasted ANOTHER several hours trying to get first Kmail and Tbird to work through the college's e-mail.

About a month ago the college e-mail disappeared and we now go "through" the college e-mail to the Microsith Office 365 cloud.

Here is what happens.

When I log into the college's website everything is "normal": as in it being the colleges website.

When I log into "e-mail" I am redirected to the EXTERNAL Office 365 cloud, I have to log in again and then am "redirected" again to ( I guess ) the college's section of Office 365 on the cloud.

There is no hint of the college anywhere.

So, I received an e-mail from the IT people today, they like me because I actually PAY ATTENTION to things and have brought problems to their attention which they fixed.

And it said, generally, "hey, woodsmoke, we have moved to Office 365 to make things easier (really, it said "make things easier) and we realize that you are trying to use the Linux e-mail client and have had no luck lately and I wanted to give you this link so that you can try it in your settings".

THE MAN WAS BEING SINCERE...

Here is the link:

https://itservices.usc.edu/office365/emailclients/

CURIOUSLY a..."university'.

Ok so I tried it using Kmail and ...again...

RECEIVING the e-mails works just fine.

SENDING does not work.

So, I tried a KOLAB setup with the same results.

And...again...I tried Thunderbird.

With the same results except for this:

With the original smtp.outlook. etc. the test balked with a requestor for a password which would not work.

With the new settings Tbird ... sat there and spun trying to I THINK... "get through". It spun for fifteen minutes...

REMEMBER...that to actually get AT the e-mail from the college I have to enter my password TWICE...once to get "into the college's e-mail client" and then when I am sent "through" to Office 365 on the cloud I have to enter it again.

It does NOT STORE the password for the second entry.

WHAT THIS TELLS ME...

In other words this is maybe akin to Google's double password thing...only not with different passwords but the same password twice...THROUGH A SYSTEM that has been VERIFIED BY MS Office 365 Cloud...maybe a special "invisible" certificate...dunno...

So...the only possible fix that I can think of...

IF... Kmail developers can figure out a way to get "into the college" with the first password and then have some kind of ...I don't know..."wormhole" to Office365 cloud where one again enters a password then it MIGHT be that Kmail could function with the Office365 cloud mail stuff.

It MAY be that "that" was the problem with Tbird asking for a password even though it was in the settings and the password being kicked back.

It may be that unless the "e-mail client" is somehow "registered" with the Office365 Cloud then will never get through.

Now... an opinion.

I would normally say that this was the "fault" of Microsith trying to force people to use MS products...

But, it may not be COMPLETELY so... there is discussion in the security IRCs that a lot of "public institutions" which may or may not have the cash to take care of the threat environment, it may be that there has been, on the quiet, a decision for all of such institutions to hand over the thing to MS and let them "filter" possible threats.

It could be...that I, hypothetically am trying to get there from my e-mail client am really a bad actor and the decision has been made...possibly by homeland security, to just force the issue to ...

reduce the hassle and possibility of a threat actually getting "at" places, like colleges, that want to try to avoid it and don't have the resources.

just a thought read between the lines in security IRCs

but...unless someone actually figures out a way to do this and POSTS IT IN THE CLEAR...SO THAT EVERYONE CAN GET AT IT...

I am done with using Kmail, or Tbird, as an e-mail client for the college to SEND an e-mail.

I keep Kontact open permanently in an activity so I can get the notification of an incoming e-mail from a student and I'll just verbalize a reply through my phone or go to the hassle of opening Microsludge Office365 e-mail.

Curiously, Gmail is now playing nice and working just fine...I have also set up two other test e-mail systems which play nice also.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that as a "sop" to people like us that Google has figured that it might be able to monetize "people like Linux users" a little bit by allowing it to work, or it may have been a big government broker between MS and Google...one gets this piece of the pie and the other gets another piece...but I wouldn't bet the farm on it, and I don't live on a farm! lol

Kontact really does everything else ok, from journaling to calendar to to-dos etc.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 01, 2017, 03:33 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post

woodsmoke
    Whaaat!?? Just 'woodsmoke'; no 'wood[longrunoncommentary]smoke'?

Who are you and what did you do with the REAL wooksmoker?!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

lol an artifact of being just exhausted / exhasperated with the whole situation! lol

woodhatesthewholethingsmoke ( is that better oh grey one? ) lole
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Too bad the whole university couldn't move to something like Kolab. Problem solved, including security and the choice of using any email client; including web, KMail, Thunderbird, etc. Hosted in Switzerland. It's what I use and can't see ever changing. I can schedule with client companies who use Exchange just fine. Even has Libre Office built-in too now. Ahh if only university IT staffs were more open-source-enlightened. The irony bring, of course, that the 'enlightenment' would need to start in the business sector instead of Education. Then the curriculum for IT would be altered to embrace the new reality.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Hi Dequire
          nice to know about where you live and work, I'm jealous!

The college actually HAS a Linux person because the college runs it's software on Ubuntu Server, with Windblows on top of it.

It really is, I think, a situation of shoving "the responsibility for problems" off onto Microsith because who could sue MS if a "thing" got into somebody's e-mail or whatever.

What is hilarious is that starting about a month ago; (after the change to MS cloud) I regularly get an e-mail offering "health insurance" for me. The IT people USED to actively ask instructors to report such until the change over but now, apparently if MS approves then ..."oh well, not my job". grrr

but, again you have a sweet situation.

woodjealoussmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            Hi Dequire
            nice to know about where you live and work, I'm jealous!

The college actually HAS a Linux person because the college runs it's software on Ubuntu Server, with Windblows on top of it.

It really is, I think, a situation of shoving "the responsibility for problems" off onto Microsith because who could sue MS if a "thing" got into somebody's e-mail or whatever.

What is hilarious is that starting about a month ago; (after the change to MS cloud) I regularly get an e-mail offering "health insurance" for me. The IT people USED to actively ask instructors to report such until the change over but now, apparently if MS approves then ..."oh well, not my job". grrr

but, again you have a sweet situation.

woodjealoussmoke
            Thank you for the praise...However I think you mis-read lol. I live in the US. I just use Kolab, with one of the reasons being that their infrastructure is hosted in Switzerland.

In regards to your lawsuit reference above, I believe the appropriate analogy borrowed from the '90's is "no one ever lost their job buy using IBM". Seems like that mentality is still around today.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

lol
              woodfunnyalso!smoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

WOAH!!!! STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

Thunderbird suddenly is working to send an e-mail from my gmail account to the college and also from the college to the gmail account!

KUDOS to the Thunderbird team!

woodthankfulsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                X