This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu NAS Server

I'm trying to set up ssh between my main kubuntu computer and my server. Before I do the ssh login, I want to make sure I can login unsecured albeit with a User ID and PW. So what is the syntax for such an unsecured login. Both machines are on the same network and I know the IP addresses. My user name is mark so I thought I would simply open firefox and type in the following URL:

Code:
    http://mark@'the Server Ip address'
    but that does not work! I also tried just the ip address -- no joy. Perhaps if I added a colon and port ID to the end of the server IP address, but how do I know what port the server is listening on? Any ideas?
    Last edited by mhumm2; Jul 28, 2017, 12:03 PM.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

I use this to access my server:
    Code:
    ssh username@ip

Comment

Yep that worked! Thanks. I had an ssh config issue that I was unaware of. Thanks again. Now if they ever fix the ZFS repository I'm in business.
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Re. this topic: If you're accessing your server often using ssh, here's a couple tips:
        • Use secure key authentication then you don't have to keep entering a password. One of many tutorials on the subject: https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...a-linux-server
        • If your hostnames are properly configured, you don't need to use the IP, you can use the server hostname. This helps if your DCHP server routinely changes the IP of your devices.
        • For a little added security, configure your ssh server to use a non-standard port.
        • Configure a default of ssh settings in ~/.ssh/config on your client containing the host name, port, and username for each ssh server and you need only enter "ssh" followed by the name you used on the first line of the config to log into the server.

For example, once you have secure keys installed and working, your ~/.ssh/config file might contain:
        Code:
        Host server
          Port 21968
          User mhumm
          HostName server
        Then a simple "ssh server" log you onto the server and you're ready to go. This configuration allows rsh commands as well. I have five computers configure this way. When my Dell Vostro need an update, I just type "ssh vostro" and I'm logged in. Cake.
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Aug 04, 2017, 06:41 AM. Reason: typo

Please Read Me

Comment

That's interesting oshunlvr. so what is each line doing? "Host server" is creating the alias "server" or is the last line doing that? Port would be the port my server would always get the login request from my computer I assume. "User mhumm (Mark actually) would allow the server to know it's "Mark" signing in any time the alias "server" is used?

Comment

Slight typo there, the last line in the stanza has been corrected:

Host server
            Port 21968
            User mhumm
            HostName server

I also corrected my description - the fact that I use "server" as both the host name and the stanza shortcut name confused me for a sec.

The first line is the shortcut name you want to use - it tells the ssh command where to look in the config file. HostName is either just that - the hostname - or it could be an IP address. All my computer have hostnames so I use those. Port is the target port on the receiving machine. User is your username on the target machine.

I combine this config file with aliases in ~/.bash_aliases, so I don't even type "ssh server" I just type "server". For my other computers I use a descriptive name. For example, my Dell V13 Vostro laptop is "vostro"
            Last edited by oshunluvr; Aug 04, 2017, 06:42 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

There's lots more you can configure, but I didn't need that much for work for my home network. Here's the manpage

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you oshunlvr. I have it setup so my login is "ssh nas" Very nice.

Comment

Working...
                X