This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latent bug discoverd in ubiquity

Since this bug exists in 16.04, all the way to 17.04 and maybe in 17.10 as I have not checked then maybe the Ubuntu devs should consider fixing it. The bug probably only affects maybe .05% of users but it affects me. The problem is that WIFI installation fails when using the Broadcom 4322 chip set. The user has to goto the install DVD /pool/main/ and install the dkms package in d/ and then the two fake root packages in f/ then install the broadcom driver in restricted/. The broadcom driver needs to be installed twice to get wifi working - This seems weird but I tried it several times and confirmed this in all kubuntu versions -. My Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02) never has worked in any of them. It worked for a while but I got a different gateway from Xfinity and now it doesn't work. model TG862G/CT it's relatively new so the driver might need tweaking. The gateway seems to see the connection as the top light is yellow and then bottom light is orange on the gateway where the Ethernet wire plugs in.

The laptop is a dv6 from HP. Manufactured nov. 2008.

I am going to install to HD using BRTFS. I expect to have to install the wifi again manually and probably no wired. Is there anyway to tell apt, not to install anything UEFI since that keeps hosing my system? There is no UEFI on this computer, so why dose it even want to install UEFI stuff? Maybe a modprobe bug or something?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Ubiquity has LOTS of bugs. Why are you even using it?

Do yourself a favor and use dd.
    Plug a 4Gb or larger USB stick in and use "fdisk -l" (that's a lower case L) to see what its device designation is. Should be /dev/sdX, were X is the next alphabet letter in line, depending on how many HDs and other USB sticks you have plugged in.

Then issue
    dd if=/path/to/kubuntu.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4096

If you use sdX1 it won't boot and will claim it can't find an OS.

Leave it plugged in. Boot into your BIOS and set it to boot from the USB. Reboot.

DON't DO ANYTHING FANCY OR TRICKY.
    Select your time zone and enter your name and password.
    Manually select the HD and in the partition section give the ENTIRE HD to "/" using Btrfs as the fs. No swap. You can either use sda if you don't create a partition first, or sda1 if you do. The MBR will install on what you use.

Leave the checkbox that asks if you want to download updates during the install UNCHECKED. After you install you will get automatic updates if you haven't putzed with anything.

Check the next checkbox which asks if you want to install multimedia and 3rd party apps.

Let the install run without attempting to do anything else while it installs. When it completes it will tell you to reboot. Shutdown instead. Reboot and go into the BIOS and set the HD as the primary boot. Reboot.
    After you get a desktop and install your b43-fwcutter software and get your wifi going then open a Konsole and mount your main drive as /mnt/
    sudo -i
    mount /dev/sda /mnt
    mkdir /mnt/snapshots
    btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@ /mnt/snapshots/@_bkup20170725 (or what ever date you want)
    btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@home /mnt/snapshots/@home_bkup20170725
    sync
    umount /mnt
    exit
    exit

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Ubiquity has LOTS of bugs. Why are you even using it?
      Ubiquity installs the OS, you kinda sorta hafta use it

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Ubiquity installs the OS, you kinda sorta hafta use it

When part of the LiveCD, sure. Ubiquity is not part of the installed system so it cannot be run from within the OS unless the user installs it from the repository, which is what I think Steve did. Even then, Ubiquity is only part of the installer system.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 25, 2017, 08:58 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X