This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gimp Region Screenshots

I have moved to a new computer by dd'ing the old drive (HDD) to the new machine (SSD).

The old machine is Intel Atom based and taking Gimp (2.8) screenshots of regions in Kubuntu was odd in that the drag-selection boundaries appeared and disappeared. However, the screenshots were fine.

The new machine works just fine with both Kubuntu and Ubuntu Studio except that the Gimp screenshots of a region in Kubuntu produce a Mondrian style screenshot and the selection boundaries continue to make changing Mondrian like patterns after the image has been captured for as long as the Gimp window is the context.

I attach the resulting screenshot. If you imagine the pattern of rectangles shown in the shot, but continually changing, you will get the idea.

I have reset gimp preferences, purged and reinstalled gimp and removed the Intel display driver, None of which makes any difference.

Gimp 2.8 in Ubuntu Studio works perfectly.

Kubuntu 16.10
    KDE Plasma 5.7.5
    KDE Frameworks 5.26.0
    Qt 5.6.1 (built against 5.6.1)
    The xcb windowing system
    Kernel Version 4.8.0-58-generic
    64bit

Ubuntu Studio
    xenial stable
    Operating System : Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
    Kernel : Linux 4.4.0-83-lowlatency (x86_64)
    Desktop Environment : XFCE 4
    Window Manager (xfwm4)

Computer:
    Intel Kabylake (7th Gen)
    Processor : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100T CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Memory : 8030MB (1048MB used)
    -Display-
    Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels
    OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) Kabylake GT2
    X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

I've only been using the new computer for a few days and now realise how much I use the gimp screenshot feature. I have work-arounds in the screen grab and the window grab.

Any suggestions on finding a solution? I'm not about to re-install Kubuntu as it is loaded with quite a lot of settings, programs and features that would take an age to reinstall.
    Attached Files

It's not me!

I booted from a 17.04 Kubuntu DVD, installed Gimp and had exactly the same experience as with 16.10.

I can't think what it could be as I assume that both Kubuntu and Ubuntu Studio use the same xorg window manager.

Comment

I can not reproduse this ,,,,,,,I get no such anomaly in 17.04 or 16.04 ,,,gimp 2.8.18 & 2.8.20

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for trying that. Since the DVD booted version does not use any of my system settings or drivers, it looks like a function of Kubuntu and the standard drivers used in conjunction with the new Kaby Lake graphics module (HD 630).

As I said, the Ubuntu Studio with an earlier kernel and LDXE rather than KDE as the window manager has no problem with the same version of Gimp. The identical Kubuntu 16.10 installation (just dd'ed from one machine to another) works fairly well with an Intel Atom and its graphic module.

I have also noticed that Opera Developer sometimes has problems with the sort of image selector used on Ebay and other sites, but I put it down to it being bleeding edge.

Could you say what processor you are using, including the generation (Haswell, Sandy, Kaby, etc.)?

Comment

Originally posted by royleith View Post

Could you say what processor you are using, including the generation (Haswell, Sandy, Kaby, etc.)?
          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(4th gen Haswell) ,,,,,I think.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X