This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUG- dolphin keeps crashing when deleting

If I open dolphin and then try to delete my VM folder then dolphin crashes. This happens 100% of the time! I am trying to free up memory. When steam is done then I will use PM to add more space to the /home partition.

HP Pavilion Entertainment PC us dv6
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

did you try to delete via the pop-up menu? if yes, try to use shortcut keys instead: 'Delete' for trashing or Shift+Del for deleting. or press F4 in Dolphin and run 'rm -r folder_name'.
    community is what will save us

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
      If I open dolphin and then try to delete my VM folder then dolphin crashes. This happens 100% of the time! I am trying to free up memory. When steam is done then I will use PM to add more space to the /home partition.

HP Pavilion Entertainment PC us dv6
      You can mark this one solve due to the fact that 581 of your home files are owned by root and you are going to reinstall. After that this "bug" will disappear.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        581 of your home files are owned by root and you are going to reinstall.
        One doesn't need to reinstall for that, it can be fixed with:
        Code:
        sudo chown -R $(id -u):$(id -g) $HOME
        (which will recursively change the ownership of the files in $HOME to the running user's user id and primary group)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
          One doesn't need to reinstall for that, it can be fixed with:
          Code:
          sudo chown -R $(id -u):$(id -g) $HOME
          (which will recursively change the ownership of the files in $HOME to the running user's user id and primary group)
          True, but that assumes that the only damage done was in the home account. Steve was jumping all over his installation while using sudo, or more likely, running as root, which would account for 581 (all ?) of his home files having root ownership. Not knowing what else he's done that could result in his system not running right reinstalling could avoid a lot of lurking issues and give him a pristine platform to begin anew.

BTW, your chown solution is classic Kubical: elegant, all inclusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X