This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wireless PR wired even on the latest LTS/HP dv6 notebook

Driver manager is totally useless. ubuntu-drivers autoinstall tries to get it from the repos. Obviously that can't work. I need it to goto the DVD. I am installing it now in the hope that the installed system will work.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

You're right. If you don't have a wifi connection, then you can't install a wifi driver. The only thing you can do is connect via a cable between the computer and your router and install the wifi driver using Discover or Muon. That connection does not use the same hardware or driver as the wifi receiver.

The ubuntu-drivers process does work, but it too requires a connection. That connection could be the ethernet connection or wifi. You've been all over these forums with the same problem. You can't get the Broadcom b43 driver without a connection regardless of Kubuntu/Ubuntu version.

I had a Broadcom wifi receiver on a previous machine, and I always had to use ethernet to my router to install the driver. But once installed, wifi worked fine.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I used my kindle and discovered the Xenial installer was missing some packages that were needed to satisfy dependences for the driver to be installed. I installed the drive in the /pool/restricted directory on the install dvd once the dependences were meat then the wifi card came up and NetworkManager was able to see the WIFI hot spots.

Still no wired.
      Last edited by steve7233; Jul 13, 2017, 12:56 AM. Reason: added url to other post.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Post the output of:
        Code:
        lspci
        and:
        Code:
        sudo lshw|grep -A 20 network
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
        X