This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless

I have to downgrade to yakaty, which means a fresh install. Is there a way to tell the installer to use firmware-b43 or whatever the package is for my wireless. It is in my other thread. Can I point to it on the HD? How. Thanks. Apparently it is also needed for the Ethernet as I can't get Internet with the wire in yakaty as well.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

I managed to get the wifi working. I told Yakaty I wanted to try the distro. I ran divermanager which found the wifi firmware. The eathernet is still broken. I am going to try using apt to install it. I have to search for my old thread for the package name.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I never could get the Ethernet to work. Since the wireless is now working then I will install it and see If the wired is still broken after rebooting.

Comment

Is your eth0 chip functioning? After lightening hit my computer my eth0 would give me a name but it would never connect when configured. I purchased a $12 USB 1Gigabit Ethernet adaptor and got my eth0 back.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Is your eth0 chip functioning? After lightening hit my computer my eth0 would give me a name but it would never connect when configured. I purchased a $12 USB 1Gigabit Ethernet adaptor and got my eth0 back.
          WiFi and wired work just fine in 16.04.

Comment

After installing and rebooting into yakaty they're is no internet! No WiFi PR wired. I tried Driver manager but it appears to be broken. It only installs to 50% and then refreshes. How do I get the driver installed?

Comment

Have you tried to find your driver via Muon or Synaptic? Assuming you actually have a BCM43xx wireless chip, the firmware seems to be available and installable.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                I tried Driver manager but it appears to be broken. It only installs to 50% and then refreshes. How do I get the driver installed?
                the GUI driver manager has been broken for a few releases now ,,,,,,, the command line ver. still works .

Code:
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$  ubuntu-drivers -h
                usage: ubuntu-drivers [-h] [--package-list PATH] <command>

List/install driver packages for Ubuntu.

positional arguments:
                <command>            See below

optional arguments:
                -h, --help           show this help message and exit
                --package-list PATH  Create file with list of installed packages (in
                                     autoinstall mode)

[COLOR=#ff0000]Available commands:
                 devices: Show all devices which need drivers, and which packages apply to them.
                 list: Show all driver packages which apply to the current system.
                 debug: Print all available information and debug data about drivers.
                 autoinstall: Install drivers that are appropriate for automatic installation.[/COLOR]
                using the "devices" gives the best readout IMO

Code:
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$  ubuntu-drivers devices
                == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
                modalias : pci:v000010DEd0000119Asv00001558sd00000376bc03sc00i00
                model    : GK104M [GeForce GTX 860M]
                vendor   : NVIDIA Corporation
                driver   : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin
                driver   : nvidia-381 - third-party free recommended
                driver   : nvidia-340 - third-party free
                driver   : nvidia-370 - third-party free
                driver   : nvidia-378 - third-party free
                driver   : nvidia-375 - distro non-free

== cpu-microcode.py ==
                driver   : intel-microcode - distro non-free
                if you want to take it's "recommendations" then you could use it's "autoinstall" command .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Dosnt work as no internet. Is there a way to use another computer or the DVD?

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    the GUI driver manager has been broken for a few releases now ,,,,,,, the command line ver. still works .

Code:
                    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$  ubuntu-drivers -h
                    usage: ubuntu-drivers [-h] [--package-list PATH] <command>

List/install driver packages for Ubuntu.

positional arguments:
                    <command>            See below

optional arguments:
                    -h, --help           show this help message and exit
                    --package-list PATH  Create file with list of installed packages (in
                                     autoinstall mode)

[COLOR=#ff0000]Available commands:
                    devices: Show all devices which need drivers, and which packages apply to them.
                    list: Show all driver packages which apply to the current system.
                    debug: Print all available information and debug data about drivers.
                    autoinstall: Install drivers that are appropriate for automatic installation.[/COLOR]
                    using the "devices" gives the best readout IMO

Code:
                    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$  ubuntu-drivers devices
                    == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
                    modalias : pci:v000010DEd0000119Asv00001558sd00000376bc03sc00i00
                    model    : GK104M [GeForce GTX 860M]
                    vendor   : NVIDIA Corporation
                    driver   : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin
                    driver   : nvidia-381 - third-party free recommended
                    driver   : nvidia-340 - third-party free
                    driver   : nvidia-370 - third-party free
                    driver   : nvidia-378 - third-party free
                    driver   : nvidia-375 - distro non-free

== cpu-microcode.py ==
                    driver   : intel-microcode - distro non-free
                    if you want to take it's "recommendations" then you could use it's "autoinstall" command .

VINNY
                    I selected the disc in my apt sources list so apt will check the disk. When it asks for the disk then I insert it, wait for the read then press enter. Apt didn't seem to see the disk. Perhaps some kind of mount/apt bug? I tried inserting the DVD before entering the command: E: Unable to lock the administration directory (var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it? Unless there is a background process - I just booted the computer - then the answer is no. Can you say bugged?... Next suggestion please?

I found out it is looking in /media/CDROM but auto mount is /CDROM. CDROM is lower case but my Kindle changed it to upper case.
                    Last edited by steve7233; Jul 10, 2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X