This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VirtualBox and K 17.04 snafu

I have been having a problem with loading Kubuntu 17.04 on Oracle Virtualbox. More like several problems.
    Symptoms:
    [] After installation, and updates, the system appears fine.
    [] Can reboot, and run.
    . . .
    [] After some time, odd things occur : () applications hang () the bottom bar disappears - yet when the cursor is over the spot, the various pop-ups appear () launcher disappears and will not initialize () system settings won't open a window () graphics and text degrade in quality.
    <> Reboot does not fix the bug
    <> Resetting the guest via VB doesn't fix it either

I can't be certain, but I think that post installation hardware driver upgrades may be at fault.

The bugs have occurred on two separate machines, each running the same up to date Oracle VB and latest distribution.

How much RAM and how many processors are you configuring the VM's with?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      How much RAM and how many processors are you configuring the VM's with?
      4 cores (of an 8 core processor)
      8 GB of 16 GB DDRAM

Comment

Have you installed the Guest Additions? This usually helps with the virtual graphics system it uses.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Have you installed the Guest Additions? This usually helps with the virtual graphics system it uses.
          Based on the videos I watched and the instructions, I am not sure. I can see the .iso file in Dolphin, but I can't get it to autorun.
          I never get the security pop up that requests the password.

I tried following this video:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t59Oyuim64Q

When I went to insert via the drop down menu, I got this:
          ERROR: Unable to insert the virtual optical disk into the machine.
          Could not mount the media drive.
          Result code: E_Fail
          Last edited by jetgraphics; Jun 24, 2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Is that the full text of the error message?

Is it similar to the error here:
            https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewto...=82446#p389234

Comment

Thanks for the input. I finally figured out my error. . . confusion over the Oracle procedure.
              After watching a different video, I was able to install the Guest Additions. I will check further to see if the problem returns.

Comment

UPDATE.
                Successfully installed Kubuntu 17.04 on one machine, added Guest Additions, Shared folders, and had no trouble rebooting.
                Then the other shoe dropped - - -
                The other machine was a nightmare. I could do the initial install, but when I rebooted, either the icon froze, or a black screen came up, and VirtualBox did nothing. After waiting and waiting, I had to end the application in Task Manager.
                On reboot, I entered SAFE MODE and tried to correct the mess. Got it to the point it would boot, and sometimes the taskbar would appear - sometimes it would disappear - and nothing would restore it.
                On the occasions when I had successfully rebooted and installed the Guest Additions, upon reboot, dreaded black screen and hang.
                The only difference between the machines is that the non-functioning one has the dreaded WIN10 CREATORS UPGRADE.

Comment

If you have the Creators Edition of Windows 10, why not run Ubuntu 17.04 directly inside it? It works great for me. I’m an agnostic OS user with three Mac’s, all of them dual booting Windows, a Dell Precision 5510 running Ubuntu 16.04 and a new Lenovo laptop that I run Kubuntu 17.04 on. My favorite OS is Ubuntu 17.04 running Cinnamon, but you get files scattered everywhere adding Cinnamon to Gnome or Unity. Kubuntu is a distant second. I want to leave Apple’s locked down ecosystem as soon as possible, but work requires it for now. I have SQL 2017 on Windows 10 and on Ubuntu 16.04 and they work flawlessly together. Get Ubuntu 17.04 on your Windows 10 machine and forget VirtualBox.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeb View Post
                    If you have the Creators Edition of Windows 10, why not run Ubuntu 17.04 directly inside it? It works great for me. I’m an agnostic OS user with three Mac’s, all of them dual booting Windows, a Dell Precision 5510 running Ubuntu 16.04 and a new Lenovo laptop that I run Kubuntu 17.04 on. My favorite OS is Ubuntu 17.04 running Cinnamon, but you get files scattered everywhere adding Cinnamon to Gnome or Unity. Kubuntu is a distant second. I want to leave Apple’s locked down ecosystem as soon as possible, but work requires it for now. I have SQL 2017 on Windows 10 and on Ubuntu 16.04 and they work flawlessly together. Get Ubuntu 17.04 on your Windows 10 machine and forget VirtualBox.
                    I dumped Win X and reverted to Win 7.

Comment

Working...
                    X