This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unhappy with 16.04

I used to use 14.04 and after buying a new laptop, I found I had to upgrade to 16.04. I am not at all happy with 16.04 as everything has changed.
    With 14.04, MUON Update Manager was the one to go to to get stuff and other MUON named programs, now that's all changed. The thing to install programs is now 'Discover' - Which I find is a load of crap as almost all the stuff I look for is not there. Is there an alternative to 'Discover'.

Another thing I miss is installing desktop widgets. Where are they all.
    One I wanted to install was 'random Password Generator' but it now fails to install in 16.04. It can't even be found when I try to add more widgets, I had to go to the site and download it.

My opinion of 16.04 is it's crap, but I'm stuck with it!

'Print Screen' doesn't even work, I cant get a screen grab.

can anyone help me out!
    Kubuntu 18.04LTS~64bit|Plasma 5.12.9|KDE 5.47.0|QT 5.9.5|Linux 5.3.0.40~generic|M5A78L-M USB3|BIOS 2101|AMD PhenomII X4 965 3400+|P8H77-I Motherboard NIC|8.0GB PC3-10600 1333Mhz CL9 (9-9-9-24)DDR3

You can install muon or synaptic to use in place of Discover. You're not the only one who thinks Discover is a step backwards in power and ease of use.

For screen printing System Settings --> Shortcuts --> Global Shortcuts --> KDEdaemon --> Take Full Screen Shot. Set it to what ever key combo you want, including Shift+PrtSc
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Not sure why you "had to upgrade to 16.04"? Did you do an upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04? That's not recommended as it causes more problems than it's worth. Better to do a clean install of 16.04.

I'm still happily using 14.04 here and don't intend upgrading to 16.04 (maybe 18.04 at some stage in the future).

I do have 16.04 in a VirtualBox machine and tinker with that but my daily desktop is still 14.04. I had a lot of stability problems with 16.04 at first (both in the virtual machine and also a hard install I tried) but more recently I got the backported Plasma 5 (now 5.8.6) which improved the stability greatly.

Yes, a lot of things have changed in Plasma 5 (not all for the better IMHO too). There is much missing and some things are not so configurable as they were. Print Screen works fine for me though.

I installed Muon almost immediately in 16.04 after I installed it. Don't know why you can't install that. It's sounding to me like you may have to do a reinstall/clean install to get things working better. I'd definitely recommend the backported version of Plasma 5 after installing.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

14.04 is supported until April 2019 so you don't have to use 16.04 at all for almost two years. Muon was headed in the right direction but has apparently been abandoned. You can install it, but the search function is broken rendering it useless IMO. Install synaptic.

If a widget hasn't been updated to your liking, you might let the developer know. I don't think the "Random Password Generator" widget is part of Plasma 5.

Print screen works just fine here. Maybe your's is mis-configured. "Spectacle" is the new screen shot program and it's much better than the old ksnapshot. Correctly configured, you have four keyboard options to grab a full screen, rectangular region, active window, or just open the screenshot program.

Please Read Me

Comment

Like anything else, the changes that 16.04 presented just took a little getting used to. Some things have been moved around and once in a while I need to really search for where some widget or setting has moved to, but I'm loving it in general. And, yes, I went the clean install route from 14.04 to 16.04 while leaving my file system layout intact. What I did, though, is to wait until 16.04.1 had been released before doing the install. It went very smoothly with minimal post-install hiccups.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I had to go 16.04 as I bought a new laptop and I was unable to install 14.04 due to it being a brand new model, I do still have 14.04 installed on my desktop PC.

I've just installed spectacle.
            And one of the very first things I do is add the backports repo.
            Kubuntu 18.04LTS~64bit|Plasma 5.12.9|KDE 5.47.0|QT 5.9.5|Linux 5.3.0.40~generic|M5A78L-M USB3|BIOS 2101|AMD PhenomII X4 965 3400+|P8H77-I Motherboard NIC|8.0GB PC3-10600 1333Mhz CL9 (9-9-9-24)DDR3

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Muon was headed in the right direction but has apparently been abandoned. You can install it, but the search function is broken rendering it useless IMO. Install synaptic.
              Just for the record, Muon has been updated and now works properly in KDE Neon, including as of today's updates User Edition. If I were running Kubuntu 16.04 or greater I'd file a bug ASAP to get the fix backported to Kubuntu. It's great having Muon back!
              https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=369301#c18
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Also, the fix has been backported to Artful and Zesty already. Likely one would still need to file a packaging bug to get it in 16.04.
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I'm having other problems with 16.04;

I have installed ooo-thumbnailer and I still don't see the little thumbnail pictures of the files for Libreoffice (it worked in 14.04)

Also, How do I add menu options so that when I right click on a file in Dolphin I can do things such as print the file (if it's a jpg for example) or rotate it, there was a full suite of things I could do in 16.04 with one of the 'add-ons' but I have no idea where to get them from now 16.04 has completely changed.
                  It's like going back to 2011 when I first ditched XP and started using Ubuntu (11.10) and everything was new. I tried different distro's and eventually sett;ed with Kubuntu as I felt it was more easily 'tweakable'

Comment

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post

I have installed ooo-thumbnailer and I still don't see the little thumbnail pictures of the files for Libreoffice (it worked in 14.04)..
                    Bug 375176 - No document preview (.odt, .doc, .docx, .ods) : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=375176

1) https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=375176#c1
                    Elvis Angelaccio 2017-01-17 16:38:42 UTC

You need to install Calligra 3.0 (it was recently released). Also, don't forget to enable those previews in the Dolphin settings.
                    or

2) https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=375176#c3

Christoph Feck 2017-01-19 02:03:37 UTC

There is no need to install the full Calligra 3.0, but the OpenDocument thumbnailer needs to be compiled as a KF5 version, otherwise Dolphin will not use them.

https://store.kde.org/content/show.php?content=110864 has a patch from an openSUSE developer.

I suggest to report this issue to the bug tracker of your distribution, asking them to apply that patch.
                    or

3) Keneric KDE (KF5) thumbnailer: https://store.kde.org/p/1080815/
                    Description:

The Keneric KDE (KF5) thumbnailer is a generic thumbnailer. It is intended to be used when there is no dedicated KDE thumbnailer and there is a fast and simple way to get the thumbnail image (oneliner)...
                    eberkowitz 1 year ago

... I have already added code to create thumbnails for opendocument and openxml files...
                    OpenDocument technical specification: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDo..._specification
                    --> Document representation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDo...representation
                    ... It uses filename extensions such as .odt, .ott, .ods, .odp ... etc. The package is a standard ZIP file with different filename extensions and with a defined structure of sub-documents...
                    --> Thumbnails (directory): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDo...28directory.29
                    Thumbnails is a separate folder for a document thumbnail. The thumbnail must be saved as “thumbnail.png”. A thumbnail representation of a document should be generated by default when the file is saved. It should be a representation of the first page, first sheet, etc. of the document. The required size for the thumbnails is 128x128 pixel. In order to conform to the Thumbnail Managing Standard (TMS) at www.freedesktop.org, thumbnails must be saved as 8bit, non-interlaced PNG image with full alpha transparency.
                    The Keneric oneliner for the opendocument.text could be - stripPicture:
                    Code:
                          application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)
                       unzip -p "$fullname" Thumbnails/thumbnail.png > "$exportPicture"
                       exit
                       ;;
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post

Also, How do I add menu options so that when I right click on a file in Dolphin I can do things such as print the file (if it's a jpg for example) or rotate it,...
                    Installing KDE (Dolphin) Service menus: Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > Services > Download New Services > Install...
                    (KDE Store: https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/102/ )

Making KDE Service/context menus: https://techbase.kde.org/Development..._Service_Menus
                    An example: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?t=71903
                    Last edited by Rog131; Jul 14, 2017, 08:47 AM.
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Not tackled the thumbnail problem yet, I have however tried to install services for Dolphin and they failed to install properly, either via the way shown above or going to the developers page and downloading the install file.

Comment

Working...
                      X