X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact 5.4.3 everything WORKS and Outlook and Gmail

Zesty Zapus Kubuntu 17.04.
    After removing the broken libzip5 by removing "ark".
    and installing kdepim 4.16.04.3-Oubuntu2 and libpimcommon4

It all works and there is a slew of enhancements to things like Kmail.

IN OTHER WORDS...one does not need to do the "upgrade" it works with the "stock and updated" Kubuntu 17.04.

Subsequently to that also with the upgrade KDE 5.10.2 Frameworks 5.35.0 QT 5.7.1 it all still works.

++++++

Well, after posting just a few days ago about how I could not get Gmail or Outlook (at the college) to work with Zesty and finished with a "sigh".

THIS HAPPENS!!

After a relatively large update, which I left unattended, a few days ago...and I had removed the broken libzip5 and installed kdepim4...

I was...yet again... going to "try" I mean I have tried to get Kontact to work for... what every few weeks...for the last few years...and had resigned myself to the situation and NEED the delivery / read funtions... so I had installed Thunderbird the day before and then all of a SUDDEN Kontact worked!

Part of this is because the college has moved away from "in house servers with Outlook on them" to the Microsoft "cloud" Outlook and then, "back to the servers with "data" on them.

This was DISCOVERED by... Kmail in the setup!! :0 REALLY...Kmail discovered what I did not know, that the imap / stmp setup had a different "url". This had happened just in the last month after the end of semester. ( i contacted the IT people and they verified the date of the rollout. )

Gmail is the normal setup from years ago...really, the SAME setup. :0

To finish.

ALL, as in ALL,... of Kontact works - that means the summary lists all items, mail, todo, birthday, etc. Feeds work, everything works.

Todo's work, Journal works, popup notes work, feeds work, it all works.

ENHANCEMENTS ...

a) there is no "notice of delivery" function but there IS a "notice of read" function.

It does work not in exactly the same manner as Outlook but I have tested it in several e-mails to other e-mail clients and did receive a notice of read.

b) View / message list / sorting has...ELEVEN ( 11 ) different options for sorting ... IN ADDITION to the sort up / sort down.

It just has a slew of new features.

So, to the developers of Kontact and KDE ...MASSIVELY GREAT JOB AND...CONGRATULATIONS!!

If anyone who is using Kontact would like to mention any other new or enhanced features, please so post!

woodhasalwayslikedKontactsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 14, 2017, 12:01 AM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Due to ...yet again...another turning of my life inside out I am now doing lab setup but, because the college does not allow "two different jobs" i am not being paid except with having expenses paid to give a presentation.

So I am now a) teaching a hybrid class one half day a week b) working in a sheet metal plant three days a week c) setting up or REsetting laboratories five days a week

in my spare time I am training to climb the Matterhorn!

So, I really do need a calendar app which will provide an easy to manipulate scheduling paradigm and...

EASY TO CHANGE COLOR SCHEME for different activities.

Gotta say... Korganizer does, indeed have done well, these instructions, which ...are...not all THAT easy to be able to find the function as described, does indeed work.

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/pim/k...n-colors-fonts

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

woodand then it all went to cr@#becauseANOTHER"suite"workssmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Congratulations!

I still won't touch Kontact with a 10 foot pole, but I'm happy it works for you.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Well...

less than one and a half days after my "rant"...

suddenly...suddenly...

it is magic...

not CHRISTIAN MAGIC...it has to be...

our very own GREY GEEK...

his OWN magick...

I just sit and smoke a long stem clay pipe and drink tea...

suddenly ...after a year and a half of "pent up" test e-mails FROM Kmail ( office 360) to another e-mail...

ALL OF THOSE "cached" e-mails POURED THROUGH...I had to put my finger on the screen to count...lol..

it is now working.

woodwisheshehadtheGGmansleafsmoke

sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
          X