X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14.04.05 LTS and Radeon RX560

Hi!
    I am planning to buy new Radeon RX560.
    Will this work in my Kubuntu 14.04.05 LTS?
    I dont need 3D in Linux, just want to know if the system will run or will hang or something...?

Or, is there a way to get drivers into 14.04?
    THNX!

Possibly for 14.04 and probably for 16.04: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

It appears to be a mid-range or upper low-end GPU:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...n-rx-560&num=1

EDIT:
    Rebranded 400 series cards? https://www.techpowerup.com/231164/a...00-series?cp=2
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 12, 2017, 01:36 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

So, finally I have RX560. Is possible to add drivers to Kubuntu 14.04? Core compile or something...?
      Now, 14.04 is running on VGA resolution only. :-(

Comment

There are two answers off of the top of my head to help you here. There are unlikely to be other viable options at this point. You appear to be a rare corner case where someone is adding a newer-gen AMD video card to an older Kubuntu system (over 3 1/2 years old). The issue you will have to deal with is the move from AMD's proprietary drivers to the open source ones. With the release of 16.04, (K)Ubuntu dropped the proprietary AMD Catalyst (fglrx) driver. And although 14.04 does have the fglrx driver, it will not support your new card with (I believe) the RX-2XX series being the last supported GPU generation. Also worth noting that the old kernels shipped with 14.04 will not have the open source drivers, kernel support, or microcode needed to use your new card. AFAIK there are no viable options for using 14.04 with that card in any mode other than the one you're using, which I understand is not really usable. Additionally, the versions of Mesa (OpenGL support) would be too outdated as well, especially for any kind of gaming. I have an RX 480 myself, by the way, so I had to work through all this myself when moving off of 14.04 and 16.04, each in different ways because of the transition from fglrx to the open source drivers.

The best course of action would be to upgrade to 16.04, or do a fresh install of 16.4.3 or 17.10. You'll get a working display and proper resolution support out of the box, as the RadeonSI (AMD-GPU) drivers will be baked into the newer kernels, and MESA drivers will be updated as well. What to do after that would depend on how you plan on using your PC - meaning how much you want to play games. No games = this would be all you would need to do. For gaming and getting the most out of your card, there's a few more steps involved. Let us know how it goes to this point and we'll go from there.
        Last edited by dequire; Nov 02, 2017, 10:03 AM. Reason: clarification
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
        X