X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRWare vs Chrome, chrome-wraper percent U

Hi Everybody :-)

I just know that SRWare and Chromium are based on the same Software.
    I accept that when I install SRWare, Chromium is also automatically installed, but I'm not very glad of this.
    Please, could someone explain me why SRWare is opened thru
    /usr/share/iron/chrome-wrapper

while chromium is opened thru
    /usr/share/iron/chrome-wrapper %U
    ?
    But, there is no file whose name is chrome-wrapper %U.
    This means that chromium and SRWare are opened by the same file. The Difference is that Chromium has %U after the name.
    Please what does it mean?

Following the command, you can have several place holders which will be replaced with actual values when the program is run:

%f - a single file name
    %F - a list of files; use for applications that can open several local files at once %u - a single URL
    %U - a list of URLs
    %d - the folder of a file to open
    %D - a list of folders
    %i - the icon
    %m - the mini icon
    %c - the caption

For example: if you want to firefox to start your web browsing at www.kde.org - instead of firefox you would type firefox %u www.kde.org.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Chromium is checking the command which started it to see if parameters are passed. It's been programmed to run SRware if no parameter is passed by Chromium if it finds "%U" or, perhaps, any other parameter.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you very much Snowhog and GreyGeek.
        I asked because I know that it is impossible to totally get rid of Chromium. Would this means that it is impossible to get rid of SRware?

Comment

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
          I asked because I know that it is impossible to totally get rid of Chromium. Would this means that it is impossible to get rid of SRware?
          Impossible? Hardly. Open a terminal and issue
          sudo apt purge chromium-browser

Do the same for srware.
          Then, to clean things up do
          sudo apt autoremove
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you very much GreyGeek for your answer. Maybe I wrote a mistake. I already installed chromium on Windows and it was impossible to get rid of it. In the internet you can find many people who have this problem. The 90 first answers of Google are "How to get rid of Chromium" or "How can I get rid of Chromium?".

Comment

Precision :*« SRWare Iron is an internet browser based on Google's open-source Chromium browser, ensuring a greater privacy,...».
              Google want absolutely that you use it's Chrome browser. This is why it is not possible to delete it from your system. This is why it is not possible to delete Chromium. This could be why it could be impossible to delete SRWare...

Comment

A few notes:

You should not confuse "Chromium" with "Google Chrome" (these are two different browsers, that can be and are installed separately). It gets confusing fairly quickly if you use the terms "Chrome" and "Chromium" intermittently.

Chromium is the open source browser (that also works as a stand alone browser) that many other browser projects use as a base (including SRWare Iron, Google Chrome, and many others). Google Chrome is the browser with the closed source bits from Google (including possibly "nasty" tracking stuff, which are not included in Chromium).

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                For example: if you want to firefox to start your web browsing at www.kde.org - instead of firefox you would type firefox %u www.kde.org
                That's a tad inaccurate, to launch an url with firefox, you simply use "firefox www.kde.org" (adding the %u will just give an error)

The "%X" arguments are used by the Exec values (keys) in the .desktop files of programs in accordance with the desktop file specification (https://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html#exec-variables ) ...this basically tells how the program in question should treat arguments that are used when starting it when launched using it's .desktop file.

Comment

Thanks kubicle for the informations

Comment

Working...
                  X