X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LiveCD - Casper-RW.

Hi!
    I long time use USB with Kubuntu 14.04.02 LTS, customized by casper-rw.
    Now, I switched to Kubuntu 14.04.05 LTS, and I copyed old casper-rw back.
    But! It wont work! Booting is OK, loading kernel too, but afer KDE launches, just KDE mouse cursor appears, and thats it! Nothing more...
    So, what I could delete from casper-rw to work again? I dont want to loose all settings!
    Thanks for answer!

As you have a mouse cursor and a black screen, try hitting alt-f2 , which opens Krunner. If that works, enter the command plasmashell in the box, which should restart the desktop. It is likely that plasma crashed for some reason

Comment

Actually, hiting anything do nothing... ALT+F2 include. Only power down button works well :-( Shutted down succesfully...
      But wait..., I run this on two monitor config... and have the second one turned off! Mayby the desktop is there..? Must check today...
      Anyway, if this is NOT the case, what else I do? I can boot into hardisk installed Kubuntu, mount casper-rw and do something... But what?

Comment

Black screen after the login?
        Sounds like a video driver problem.
        Choose the Recovery Option on the Grub boot menu and log in as root. Check your home account to see if .Xauthority has you as both owner and group. If not use chgrp and chown to change it. It could be set to root, unless you always run as root.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Just found...
          I run LiveCD 14.04.05 from another USB, and after console launch, I see "kubuntu@kubuntu:~$" in the line. But I am pretty sure, that in 14.04.02 it was "ubuntu@ubuntu:~$".
          This should be corrected? How exactly?
          And please, if casper-rw correctly mounted, what exactly should be the line shown in "mount" command displayed?
          Now I have this:

ubuntu@kubuntu:~$ mount
          /cow on / type overlay (rw)
          proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
          sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
          udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
          devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
          tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
          /dev/sdd1 on /cdrom type vfat (ro,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,ioc harset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
          /dev/loop0 on /rofs type squashfs (ro,noatime)
          none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
          none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
          none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
          none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
          none on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw)
          tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
          none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
          none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
          none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
          none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
          systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
          kubuntu@kubuntu:~$

Comment

Well, kubuntu@kubuntu - it is there in UEFI boot mode, in BIOS mode it is still ubuntu@ubuntu...
            And now found: If I try 14.04.03, old casper-rw woks like sharm!
            From 14.04.04 just KDE cursor @ black screen...
            Just after boot, some message blink (before loading Kubuntu splash screen): "radeon error" something... so probably really the driver...
            Can I some-how medifyed 14.04.05 casper.sqashfs to make it work?

Comment

Originally posted by iX View Post
              Can I some-how medifyed 14.04.05 casper.sqashfs to make it work?
              Download a fresh copy of it and checksum it first, then reburn it to a USB and checksum the USB.

14.04.05 is at the bottom of the page: http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Checked two times, not this case... :-(

Comment

On a fresh copy? Did you try to install the double checked fresh copy?

Comment

My guess is that there is a mis-match between some file on the persistence file and whatever the live image is expecting, a permissions problem on files within the persistence file, or maybe something didn't get written back to disk at shut down, or something else along those lines.

The live OS image itself is not modified, but changes made to settings or added/updated software are loaded from the casper file system into ram at some point when it is booting.

Might I ask why you don't simply install the OS directly to the usb stick as opposed to modifying a live disc?

Comment

Working...
                    X