This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prioritizing wifi connections

Is there a way to prioritize WI-fi connections, so If you are near several connections then you can automatically connect to your preferred network. For example in my apartment their are two wi fi connections, mine and a business a few yards away that broadcasts a public WI fi for about half a mile. I wish to automatically connect to my wi fi when in range.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

AFAIK, no. Would be a nice feature though.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

my wireless has 2 connections,,, , A 2.5GHz one and a 5GHz one , it seams to default to the last one I connected to .

you could try ,,,,just having "your" wireless set to auto connect , and resort to actually clicking <sigh> the other one when needed.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something here but I set my preferred choice to "connect automatically when available," and un-check that box on all the others.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
          Maybe I'm missing something here but I set my preferred choice to "connect automatically when available," and un-check that box on all the others.
          +1 ... that works for me too.
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
            That won't work If you leave your house and there are several to choose from. Being able to set several preferences for different places would be great.
            Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Why won't it work if you check the box for your preferred connection in each locale and uncheck the boxes for the ones you don't want to connect to? Do your preferred connections overlap?
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

don't you have the priority parameter on the general configuration tab in your network connections?
                community is what will save us

Comment

So many people not reading the question! flamboyant is right, the priority setting is what you are after:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170523_201708.png
Views:	1
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	643512

Default is 0, setting a network to >0 means your device will prefer it over the other networks.
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                    So many people not reading the question! flamboyant is right, the priority setting is what you are after:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6992[/ATTACH]

Default is 0, setting a network to >0 means your device will prefer it over the other networks.
                    Thanks I think. I set my home wifi to 0 and the public one to -1 hopefully that will work. I don't know how this priority thing works but hopefully I guessed well enough. Could some please explain how it works, so If I go someplace I can set up any other priorities.O wait that might be backwards. I will switch them.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                      Thanks I think. I set my home wifi to 0 and the public one to -1 hopefully that will work. I don't know how this priority thing works but hopefully I guessed well enough. Could some please explain how it works, so If I go someplace I can set up any other priorities.O wait that might be backwards. I will switch them.
                      https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkM...-settings.html
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X