This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    There doesn't seem to be huge differences in most case, just sometimes. Also, one wins in one place while another wins elsewhere. Illustrates that this is no simple issue. It would be interesting to do a full spectrum of file systems, drive types, and kernel versions.
    I went the same route you did; set cfq for spindles and deadline for SSD.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Even when I try deadline scheduler, my computer gets really slow when I'm doing some heavy I/O operations. Is this a problem with Linux? I'm not used to experiencing this in Windows. Does Windows make the app on the foreground have a higher priority?

The problem seems really odd to me because even when the contents of the file I'm trying to open should have been in RAM cache by now, they still open too slow. For example, even for Terminal: I open terminal, close it and reopen it but it still makes me wait for a few seconds.

Comment

Copying huge files 'to where'? On your systems drive, or to an external location, and if the latter, how is that location connected?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Copying huge files 'to where'? On your systems drive, or to an external location, and if the latter, how is that location connected?
          I experienced slowness while I was files copying from the systems drive to itself, or unzipping something etc. I didn't test other situations.

Comment

Okay, so when you said 'big files', what size are you talking about?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Okay, so when you said 'big files', what size are you talking about?
              2 gb+

Comment

This problem has a long and chequered history, because it only affected some systems, and I speculate seemingly didn't hit the kernel developers much, so they seemed to ignore it for years. The underlying cause is explained in this bugzilla comment. Or this LWN article.

The problem tends to baffles people like me that have much experience with thrashing, swapping, systems because it behaves like them, page faulting even when there's no swap at all.

Changing the io scheduler to deadpool avoids the problem for a lot of systems, but not all. You could research the settings in /proc/sys/vm/dirty_* and experiment with changing those. F.ex.
                Code:
                echo $((16*1024*1024)) > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_bytes
                echo $((48*1024*1024)) > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_bytes
                Now another supposed fix is in linux kernel 4.10 which has landed in ubuntu 17.04, "writeback throttling". It is "enabled"; I don't know how to turn it on, or how to see if it is on.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  Changing the io scheduler to deadpool
                  ??

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

LOL, acheron

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X