This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with Chrome tooltips

Hi. I have an issue about tooltips of Chrome. It's not a critical thing but it's rather annoying.

When I hover the cursor on something which has multi-line tooltip, this tooltip is shown fine. But if, after that, I hover the cursor on something which has a tooltip with only 1 line, this tooltip is shown buggy. The text seems to appear out of tooltip, therefore not readable (only dot of 'i' and tip of 'l' are seen for example). If I move my mouse and hover on the same thing again, it is fixed. But when I repeat the procedure, the bug always happens (first hover on multi-line tooltip, then on 1 line)

I added a screenshot so you can see what's happening. Is there any way to fix this?

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

I have downloaded Ubuntu GNOME to test this on GNOME, the issue also exists there. I think that's a chrome bug? Isn't anyone experiencing the same issue?

Screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-05-29 13-33-37-1.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	643518
    Last edited by farukdgn; May 29, 2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

It looks like a shifting hotspot on the pointer icon. Have you tried to increase the size of your mouse pointer icon?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have the same issue but it is not limited to Chrome. Mouse pointer size does not affect it.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
          I have the same issue but it is not limited to Chrome. Mouse pointer size does not affect it.
          Where else do you have it? I only have this on Chrome. And as I said before, it doesn't seem like a KDE-spesific issue.

Comment

I suppose you see this on websites? Can you give the url of te site? I found this one searching with the text on your screenshot, if that's the same you don't have to give it:
            techtitbits.com/2010/04/get-rid-of-freeze-ups-during-disk-io-activity-in-ubuntu/
            (If you give the link, I can look at the code of the site.)

I couldn't replicate the bug, but my colours etc. are probably different than yours.
            Anyway: it looks like a bug in Chrome with some graphic drivers. If you look at the picture answer 120 is linking too, it looks to me the same as what you describe: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...tail?id=442111
            There are many more reports on tooltips and lots of solutions. Most of the time lots of solutions means there's not one solution really working.
            If it's this bug, I'm afraid you can only wait. But since this bug was reported december 2014, I'm afraid that's gonna be a long wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
              I suppose you see this on websites? Can you give the url of te site? I found this one searching with the text on your screenshot, if that's the same you don't have to give it:
              techtitbits.com/2010/04/get-rid-of-freeze-ups-during-disk-io-activity-in-ubuntu/
              (If you give the link, I can look at the code of the site.)

I couldn't replicate the bug, but my colours etc. are probably different than yours.
              Anyway: it looks like a bug in Chrome with some graphic drivers. If you look at the picture answer 120 is linking too, it looks to me the same as what you describe: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...tail?id=442111
              There are many more reports on tooltips and lots of solutions. Most of the time lots of solutions means there's not one solution really working.
              If it's this bug, I'm afraid you can only wait. But since this bug was reported december 2014, I'm afraid that's gonna be a long wait.
              I don't think it's related to the website because the issue occurs even when hovering on bookmark bar. I'm using intel graphics card and it's a shame if even that driver has these kind of issues.
              Yes, my problem is really similar to that one. I think I better search for a new browser.

Comment

Originally posted by farukdgn View Post
                .... I think I better search for a new browser.
                Vivaldi is Chromium without the spyware. See if that has the same problem.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

For me it occurs in Vivaldi.
                  If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

The bug has indeed nothing to do with that site. I just wanted to be sure there was no mistake in the code. Some people try to manipulate tooltips and really screw them up.

Vivaldi is using the same rendering engine as Chrome, so it's no surprice Vivaldi has the same issues. I guess Opera probably has the same bug too.

Comment

I guess Opera probably has the same bug too.
                      Tried Opera now, has the same bug.

Comment

and i just dropped firefox for vivaldi. Spent ages skinning vivaldi to my liking and then i notice this tooltip bug

So no resolution yet then ?

Mint 18.3 KDE 5
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by JackDinn; Oct 01, 2017, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Good news: the bug seems to be fixed. Google Chrome on Linux is on version 61, and in version 62 it's fixed. You can read about it on https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...tail?id=442111
                          Since Vivaldi is using the same rendering engine, it should be fixed in Vivaldi too in not too long.

Comment

Good news: the bug seems to be fixed. Google Chrome on Linux is on version 61, and in version 62 it's fixed. You can read about it on https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...tail?id=442111
                            Since Vivaldi is using the same rendering engine, it should be fixed in Vivaldi too in not too long.
                            Thats great news , just have to wait for it to filter through to the stable distributions. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                            X