This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightscribe

Is there an easy way to get a Light scribe drive to work, so I can make labels? Every solution I have found so far requires all kinds of extra things to get it running in a 64bit system.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

I doubt it, not as far as I can see, anyway - have you priced the compatible disks lately? ouch!!

Comment

Ouch indeed! Around $2.50 per disc !!!

I noticed that the Ubuntu deb packages of the LaCie LightScribe files, after installation, takes 12 minutes to burn a low contrast label and 27 minutes to burn a high contrast label.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Ouch indeed! Around $2.50 per disc !!!
        That price is for for a 700mb CD even

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have around 300-400 CDs and some DVDs I've accumulated as backups and such between 1997 and 2009. Just before I retired in 2008 I plugged them all into my DVD/CDROM to see if the data was still good. About a 1/4th of the gave read errors. That's when I moved to using portable USB HDs and USB memory sticks for backup. I still have 2 unopened 100 CD packs plus 25 left in a 3rd pack, and a couple dozen RW DVDs.

700Mb is pitifully small, and 4.7GB is not much bigger. In my pants watch pocket I always carry two USB sticks. My data stick is 64GB. My persistent LiveUSB stick is 16Gb. So much more convenient than CDs or DVDs.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; May 20, 2017, 06:16 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Maybe some day we will have an ext 100 file system on a crystal storage that can store 1K petaflops of data! I can remember growing up in the 80's an using a TRS-80 Color Computer that used a cassette player/recorder! Even the big floppy drive hadn't been invented yet much less the HD! Actually when I was 4 and half, I watched Niel Armstrong walk on the moon. Come to think of it it was mostly 'Buzz" Aldrin since Niel had the camera almost all the time! When they got back to Earth and developed the film they probably did a major face palm! One of those historic moments that only happens once and they blew it!
            Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I am going to wipe the HD and install 17.04 as a fresh install rather than an upgrade wich migh migrate some errors and prevent a proper system. BBL you know it takes a while to install a system.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                Maybe some day we will have an ext 100 file system on a crystal storage that can store 1K petaflops of data! I can remember growing up in the 80's an using a TRS-80 Color Computer that used a cassette player/recorder! Even the big floppy drive hadn't been invented yet much less the HD!
                +1

BTW, my first PC was an Apple ][+ with a 64Kb RAM card, purchased in the summer of 1978. It had a Panasonic cassette tape drive for storage and was connected to a 12" color TV as a monitor. Data and program were both saved to the tape. In the five minutes between class breaks I barely had enough time to save the gradebook for the class just ended and load in the tape of the next class just beginning. The program and data, which I wrote in Apple ][+ BASIC, was 48Kb.

A couple months later I got two Apple DISK II's that used 5.25" floppies, which held 140Kb each. Program and data loaded in a few seconds. It was, after all, using only a 6502 CPU running at 1MHz. In Feb of 1980 those two floppies held the program and data which ran the Nebraska State Wrestling Tournament that had 248 teams in four divisions with all their weight classes. Actually, my son, who was a 9th grader at the time, ran the program, which I wrote, and I watched the meet.

Comment

Working...
                X